Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: think im getting beat

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    If the case is strong, contingency should kick min.
    ???????????
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

thanks for all the feedback. im not sure if the spill was reported to the authorities or if pictures were taken. I will certainly ask when I discuss the bill with them. I will keep you posted. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Seriously??? Go find me a lawyer that will take a contingency case that's not a car wreck or a slip and fall.
    Not that long ago accepted on a contingency a maritime property damage claim arising from an allision and my client and his lawyer were both pleased with the outcome; however the damages in issue were probably more substantial.

Workingonadream has gotten advice from knowledgable boat owners. As a lawyer I would advise that he look into paying a lawyer knowledgable in his jurisdiction to review his contracts with the boatyard and provide him with legal advice on his options.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I'm no lawyer but this doesn't make sense. If they did the work I'd think they'd be responsible for the spill unless there's something else at work here. It also sounds like a fair amount of fuel was spilled which also doesn't seem right. There's something missing here or the yard is real shady. The one piece of the story we don't have is how much was the bill? If it's 1K then it won't be worth hiring a lawyer to fight. If it's 5 figures then it may be a different story. I'm betting the bill isn't big enough to warrant the expense to fight it and the yard is hoping you just pay up.
    Jack Sardina

Sounds screwy to me too. Boatyards always have you by the short and curlies in such situations, but what about paying the bill and then taking them to small claims court? No attorney needed, and costs very little to file. This too depends on the amount they are charging, but it might net you a better return even if the amount exceeds the small claims threshold.

Might be something to consider if they dont own up to their own mistake. Seems to me they wouldn't want this type thing to become public as it would have to be bad for business.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I would think billing you for something they did could be considered fraud. You might want to get all the details and talk to the local prosecutor or DA.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I have no problem paying legitimate fees for work performed. And I understand that often times, problems arise and the costs can go up. But this goes beyond that. They should have taken precautions to prevent a spill. That is their job. It was their lack of some sort of secondary containment that led to the spill. It goes beyond general negligence. They should have known that something like this could happen.

And you should back-charge them for your fuel that they wasted too.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I believe i would get on my horse go to the Mariner and find out the full story before doing anything. Find out the facts. If they try to put it on you their only issue was neglect. How was it neglect you not on the site. I would love to hear the answer. If you like where you are save the crown and stay with good taste in both parties part. Pay for what you contracted and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by workingonadream View Post
    I was not there, but I don't dispute that it happened, im disputing that its on me to pay. when I speak to them on Monday im going to ask them to define what general negligence is and why they think its my responsibility to pay. I bet they will hang there hat on the general negligence clause
    So if the marina hauls your boat, the travel lift strap breaks, do the charge you for the strap, or
    while bottom painting your hull if they get paint on another boat or someone's car do they charge
    you to clean up the mess.

I don't think it is possible to remain at the marina if management plans to bill you for their short
    coming, most business's would hope you don't learn about the mistakes, sending you the bill and
    publishing the error is quite surprising.

Viewing mistakes as billable hours is a strange business model.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Hey wait a minute. Q, if you have insurance, why dont you bluff the yard and tell them you put in a claim and they are sending an investigator to check the whole thing out, including all filed documentation and equipment used to clean up. Maybe that will change their tone. You could also call them and ask what their thought is on the situation, without putting in a claim, to get a better idea of what your options are.