Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

think im getting beat

looking for some opinions on my current situation. I recently had my 250 gallon mid fuel tank polished. apparently some fuel spilled from the vent during the polishing, thus causing the marina to do a hazardous waste clean up. mind you, I was still on the hard for the winter. today when I got the bill, I saw they are charging me for the clean up which is more than the actual polishing. what do you all think. thanks

Re: think im getting beat

Sounds unreasonable to me, especially if the yard was doing the polishing for you. Even if they werent, how could it have cost them so much to clean it up. Did they have to dig up yards of soil and have it scrubbed? I have a polisher on my boat and there is no overflow though the vent when I'm polishing. I can't imagine more than a cup spilling the way you have described. I would ask for a full accounting of what happened.

what I can infer from the bill is that more than a couple of cups spilled out while the process was going on. they put a 40 ft something or another in the water to catch fuel. I was on the hard but on the edge of the water. they charged me hazardous waste removal. labor, and some other item to aid in the clean up. I still don't see how its my problem.

So was it the yard that did the polishing for you?

yes. they billed me for the polishing and on that bill was the fuel clean up

I love it, they screw up and you pay....any worthwhile lawyer would love that suit....provided you are willing to re locate.

that's just it, I would hate to leave all my friends. on another note my contract has one of those limited liability clauses where they wont be held liable for general negligence, but for gross negligence, recklessness. and deliberate wrongdoing.

You cannot contract out of "negligence" the law of the State where you live governs contracts, no one can contract out of the law, unless that State allows "minor negligence as an acceptance form of failure, would like to see that explained. However, does not give you any real relief from your predicament, it's all choices. stand or be run over.

A lot of people hate California for numerous reasons, however when it comes to things like this. The contractor is on the hook. Your right a lawyer out here would make a killing on this. Good luck.

Were you even there? Are you sure the fuel even came out of your boat and not the polishing unit?

I see no way even if you were that you could be responsible. I agree with all the others if they contracted to do the job and They were not watching. THEY are negligent. If they are this dumb I am not sure I would want to stay at this marina.

A lawyer should love this one