Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Has the Hatteras 58 MY with gyro stabilizers been discussed here already ? If not...

I viewed it on the way to Texas about six weeks ago and can give some details. The astounding part is the owner spent *$175,000* on *two* Seakeeper gyros just two years ago. And now the whole boat gyros and all, is for sale for $275,000....and they'd probably take $250,000 or less still !

There's more intrigue....but in case it already been discussed or nobody cares, I'll stop for now.

(on edit) Forgot the link...here she be...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977...s#.VTADfGc5A5s
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-16-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Re: Has the Hatteras 58 MY with gyro stabilizers been discussed here already ? If no

I see they replaced the sliding door to the aft deck with a nice Home Depot special.

And I doubt you would like that model since the back deck has no wing doors and the factory enclosure on the sides.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Has the Hatteras 58 MY with gyro stabilizers been discussed here already ? If no

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I see they replaced the sliding door to the aft deck with a nice Home Depot special.
    Yes, that is attractive, isn't it ? Also the aft deck floor was covered with Home Depot plastic deck "wood".

From the photos, I had hints the boat wouldn't be quite the "restoration" she was cracked up to be by the sloppy molding job around the dishwasher, plus fir plywood to the left of it. And the hints turned out to be well founded...much worse in real life. Still it was fascinating to raise up the hinged master bed to see those two brand new looking gryo spheres.

Care to guess why two of them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Yes, that is attractive, isn't it ? Also the aft deck floor was covered with Home Depot plastic deck "wood".

From the photos, I had hints the boat wouldn't be quite the "restoration" she was cracked up to be by the sloppy molding job around the dishwasher, plus fir plywood to the left of it. And the hints turned out to be well founded...much worse in real life. Still it was fascinating to raise up the hinged master bed to see those two brand new looking gryo spheres.

Care to guess why two of them ?
    I would guess that one unit of proper size would not fit in there so they had to go with two smaller ones.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I would guess that one unit of proper size would not fit in there so they had to go with two smaller ones.
    Two smaller ones is the standard set up for boats in the 55-70ft range. Price is actually much less than one of the bigger units. I've seen 3 and 4 on some of the bigger SF. Florida Bow Thruster put 3 in a 65 like mine.
    Jack Sardina

And I doubt you would like that model since the back deck has no wing doors and the factory enclosure on the sides.
    Not that I particularly like what they did with the aft deck door, but that aluminum sliding glass door that Hatteras put on these boats looks like something on a condo or a house - a backyard patio door - it just looks absolutely stupid on a boat and it has to stay locked at all times when you're running the AC, regardless of which side of it you're on because it slides open or slams shut with every passing wake. So, you're either locked in or locked out. Although I still have mine, one day, I'm going to have a pair of sliding doors made that look like the pilothouse doors, and install them back there in place of that fugly sliding door. The aft deck on these boats just isn't big enough for hinged doors when you have a dining table back there.

The more I look at the galleys on these boats, the more and more I truly love my galley refit. I've had the new galley for over a year now, and I can't think of anything I would do differently in the galley if I had to do it over again.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Yes, not quite enough room between the stringers for one of the recommended size. This is curious however as if you look at the Seakeeper website one of that model should have been enough for that size/weight boat. But the other reasons were redundancy in case one failed, and the ability to use one if one was all that was needed for the conditions....they use enough power that you pretty much need to run the generator to operate them...maybe you can get by without the generator for one, but definitely not to run both.

Just in the two or three years since these were installed the prices have come down considerably such that the same gyro stabilization that set this guy back $175K could today be done for way less.

Advantages over Niads are no extra drag, no potential leakage points (Niad seals for example) and you can stabilize at anchor or dock. Disadvantages are the power usage, some extra noise and mostly $$$$$$ (although Niads aren't exactly free)

Interesting that in reviewing the photos just now, except for the engine rooms, the boat looks pretty darn nice. In real life it wasn't so nice, especially the exterior. Some of the interior was nice, like the master stateroom. Some pretty cool late electronics. The A/C units were abysmal, engine rooms in general a bit rough.

Pay particular attention to the A/C unit that serves the four staterooms. If it still has the original concept, it's a modulating system running four evaporator units, individually, off of one 24K condensing unit through a series of solenoid valves. It is highly problematic. The guy who designed it told me it worked better on paper than it ever did in the field, and I can tell you that he's right. I had nothing but problem after problem with that system until ripped the whole thing out and started over, moving away from the modulating concept. There was always something on it that was broken. It was an A/C technician's annuity. Since removing it, I have had zero failures or hiccups in any of my staterooms. Also, that large grey box on the bottom (toward the aft bulkhead) is some sort of capacitor bank for the A/C system. You can discharge that and find the nearest dumpster. It's useless and will give you some room to work on the A/C unit over in that corner.

If you choose to replace it with another modulating system, the price to do that about 8 years ago was north of $25,000. I know the price of A/C equipment has risen a lot in the past 2-3 years, and certainly a whole lot since 8 years ago. There are less expensive, and more reliable, alternatives out there that you can do yourself if you're somewhat handy.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    If you choose to replace it with another modulating system, the price to do that about 8 years ago was north of $25,000. I know the price of A/C equipment has risen a lot in the past 2-3 years, and certainly a whole lot since 8 years ago. There are less expensive, and more reliable, alternatives out there that you can do yourself if you're somewhat handy.
    Wow, even more glad I didn't persue that one then. Still, those gyro stabilizers would have been fun to play with.

Another interesting thing about the boat..it was previously berthed at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Apparently there are a few private docks there for Navy officers. If you look close you can see "Gitmo" on the life ring. So he retired, moved it to Pensacola...then moved out west and never uses it anymore....thus a "motivated" seller.
    Last edited by Milacron; 04-17-2015 at 12:35 AM.