Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Ever re attached the rub rail to an inflatable RIB ?

In my case 2006 Avon Seasport 360 where previous owner used one part adhesive to do so. Now in my tenure the rub rail is coming off, with the one part adhesive leaving lots of sticky flexible residue.

How best to remove the old residue and start over with proper two part adhesive ? I've heard toluene mentioned ? Is it like trying to remove the residue from vinyl letters, where nothing will actually dissolve the residue but only softens it enough to roll it into little balls...or is there something that will dissolve the stuff without harming the hypalon ?

I wonder how 3M VHB double sided tape might work for re attachment, rather than liquid adhesive ?
    Last edited by Milacron; 09-28-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Re: Ever re attached the rub rail to an inflatable RIB ?

Hypalon is a cured rubber. It will tolerate most solvents. Toluene mixed with about 50% MEK should dissolve the old adhesive. Either solvent alone will not. The mixture is what is used to dissolve neoprene contact cement for application. Two sided tape is likely to simply become another gummy mess when it fails in short order.

Bobk