Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Purchasing A Boat From A SAMS Surveyor

i would never use the sellers surveyor, especially not if it is his boat. the buyer should have hired his own surveyor. i am with most here, sams should hear about it.

Sams does surveys?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

as a new owner and new to this forum, it tok me a minute to figure out SAMS, the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors® is not Sam's Marine, the host of this forum

Was it a houseboat?

It might have been.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by ronparise View Post
    as a new owner and new to this forum, it tok me a minute to figure out SAMS, the Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors® is not Sam's Marine, the host of this forum

I thought the same! Randy needs to be more specific. Plus this sounds like a BS group. " I read a boating book.I joine the club now I'm a surveyor!"

Here's their mission statement:

Objectives
    Provide an organization complementary to the marine industry

Cooperate and encourage communications among members

Cooperate and encourage communications between members and other marine organizations

Assist other marine organizations in technical matters

Provide information and training for persons interested in the profession of Marine Surveying

Suggest standards for technical procedures for all members

Educate the public

BSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBS
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Lots of assumptions being made with little info. If he supplied a survey and intentionally left out or falsely reported defects he was aware of. Then he is a POS and might be liable. I doubt there is much legal recourse without a written survey and proof that he falsely reported on the boats condition.
    Jack Sardina

I just ASSumed members of this forum would be familiar with SAMS vs SAM'S. So EXCUUUSE me!

Again, I don't know the particulars, and I didn't want to play 20 questions with someone who was watching their dream boat turn into a nightmare. I'll get more info and see who said what, but I just figured this would be a good place to get some input.

No doubt I would feel much better taking on a delivery job of an older boat if someone told me that while they didn't have much personal knowledge of their newly purchased vessel, the seller was a licensed surveyor who said things were fine. Yes, they should have hired their own surveyor or had a very experienced person inspect and sea trial the boat prior to purchase, but this was a low budget boat with a low budget buyer. It's just an unfortunate situation.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I have brokers ask me to do engine surveys on boats I service and I tell them no. I feel it is unethical and no matter how thorough a job, if there is a problem down the road I would not want to be the guy defending it.

Yes significant problems are required to be disclosed. But you also can't get blood out of the stone.
    I think that this should have been a case of buyer beware. Who in their right mind would let a seller survey therir own boat?

I assume this is the same person who you had contact me? If so she was clueless and the few things she told me made me want to run. I offered to do a quick once over , but never heard back.
    Why in the world buy a houseboat here instead of on the river close to home.