Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pay and go

Re: Pay and go

Dave, the last few 53c's had 8/92's instead of the 12ti's how did the performance compare?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

They were very close speed wise but the 53's with the 12's seemed to sell better.

Loads on board the 53c have an incredible impact on speed/performance. My tender loaded in the bow costs me 3 knots to weight and wind. But I can't imagine a better engine than the 3406.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Tim just put those 800hp 3406s in your boat and you'll get the same performance as those MANs
    It is not worth the gain.

The boat that Tim linked, looks very nice. I have been going back and forth about repowering, its a hard thought when it costs that much and one would want to have major gains to offset the investment. I would have thought that they would have better performance regarding fuel burn. Either way it is nice to look at. I have seen a few 52 repowered with the volvo d12 and cummins. i have often wondered about the volvo option. I have heard nothing but good about the cummins repowered choice.

To Each Their Own

Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Texastailboard View Post
    The boat that Tim linked, looks very nice. I have been going back and forth about repowering, its a hard thought when it costs that much and one would want to have major gains to offset the investment. I would have thought that they would have better performance regarding fuel burn. Either way it is nice to look at. I have seen a few 52 repowered with the volvo d12 and cummins. i have often wondered about the volvo option. I have heard nothing but good about the cummins repowered choice.

To Each Their Own

Brooks
    Brooks i am not a expert here there are a lot of more qualified people on this site. They will disagre but here we go. DO NOT REPOWER THE BOAT IF YOU FISH. If you cruse bubble up and down the watter way repower. The ride will change as well as the sea keeping ability. The 52c is a heck of a sea boat. Keep the weight in the belly is number one, Number two about 55,000 to rebuild the DD. To put some other high hp less weight engines in her will cost in excess of 250000 if it is done correctly. By the time you do all the well while you are here how abouts. I promis the sea keeping goes to pot. Not to pot but certainly changes. I have been on the 52c with repower. Of course you got to consider fuel burn. They will cruse about 26 to 28 knots and top out about 29 to 31 knots. They are semi fast in todays market. All you do to repower will never be regained or closs to gain except in the personal satisfaction of speed and fuel gain. If you want to go fast get a Carolina backyard boat Gillican, Jarret Bay, Spencer and etc. But expect to loose about 20 to 30 percent of value the first year and every year there after plan to spend a lot on up keep.
    As for engines as you mentioned in your post. The cat repower 3406 is good the QSM 11 are grate. As for the volvo cheap to purchase and expensive to fix. I had a Topaz with volvos (tamd60"s) absolutely a piece of junk always braking down when warrenty went out so did i sold it. I have not ridden in a volvo 52c i have ridden in smaller hats with volvos.
    LAST YEAR I ELECTED TO REBUILD INSTEAD OF REPOWER.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 04-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.

Has anybody seen the 52 C cocoon? It looks like a really clean boat. A lot less ask that new boat by over 1 million bucks!

Spin

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    here is a good looking 52c little ritzey. Prime example of what we are all saying about repower and fix up. Buy it done..

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...s#.VRrNsCfFblY

compare
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990...s#.VRrS9yfFblY

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    has anybody seen the 52 c cocoon? It looks like a really clean boat. A lot less ask that new boat by over 1 million bucks!

Spin
    try 2 mil IF YOU WANT TO GO FAST

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2013...s#.VSFOxyfFblY
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 04-05-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    Indeed, and it's not the same ice-breaking soft ride of the classic hull. The old lines raise fish, handle seas, and are easy on the budget. They also simply don't go "fast", but given the choice I'd prefer the slightly slower speeds for that comfort and stability.

Met a 53 that had just received Volvo 900's. Volvo flew to the Bahamas to de-tune her. She rode up her keel and fell over at WOT....30-ish.

I got caught in 12+ and ran through it at 20 knots. Solid as a rock, although I personally met the front and back of each wave.

...most likely for the price of re-powering one can buy someone else's re-power, sell their own, and come out ahead...