Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FOR SALE: 1986 58' Hatteras Motor Yacht

This is a beautiful 58' Hatteras Wide Body Motor Yacht, professionally maintained, (fresh water),
    and is ready to go. The Yacht has three staterooms, three heads, one with tub/shower and two
    with showers. The vessel is powered by twin 650HP Detroit Diesel Engines, and is equipped with two
    generators and electronics. Located in Gilbertsville, KY. A complete description is available
    along w/ additional pictures, which show the entire boat. Please contact me if interested or have
    any questions. Priced at $329,000.00.

(Horsepower was confirmed by Detroit Diesel and advertised in the Hatteras Brochures on Sam's Marine as
    650HP each).
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaIslander; 03-24-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Error on HP

Re: FOR SALE: 1986 58' Hatteras Motor Yacht

Looks like a very nice boat. I would recommend that you put a complete listing together with some additional photos. You should do this anyway as you can always give this to a broker as a basis for him to build and refine. It would also be good if you could obtain a website domain for the boat. Here you put a page on for the listing, photos of the boat, and a nice write up for any projects you have done and cruses you have taken. Andrew (a member of this site) did this with his 53 MY about 3 years back. Not sure if it is still up. While he sold it eventually through a broker the information and link was there and could be seen by all.

Honestly, you have a couple of issues in selling this boat. First, I doubt if you are a serious seller that you can do it on your own. There are some very good brokers who are members of this site and work, they are not lazy, to represent the yacht fairly and put a deal together. Sea Eric comes to mind. I have spoken with him and he appears very solid.

Second, the location is going to make for a difficult sale unless you are aiming for a midwest buyer. People who buy this larger yachts typically go to Ft. Lauderdale. You might also think of Annapolis for the summer (Sea Eric's area). In Ft. Lauderdale I would contact Allied Marine or Bradford Marine. The later has a very good free storage program in a very secure marina ... all covered slips... up the river just off State Road 84 and I-95.

Third, as you most likely know, the older boats (over 30 years old) are very difficult for buyers to finance. Thus, when you are pricing you are selling into a very small pool

Last, I would make sure the boat is really spruced up. Get all the old junk off of it that you are not using. You can always put it a storage looker nearby. Items such as toaster over etc. cluttering galley shelves, straw hats hanging on walls etc. have to go. I would ask the listing broker you select to advise you what to do.

These days nobody has time for a project unless the boat is really low priced. If your boat is clean and not tired, as it looks like, your ask does not seem crazy to me. The really dumb buyer are those who put a $350 ask price on a mid 80s Hatteras 53 and then the yacht gets stale as nobody even looks at it.

Good luck, I just bought a boat for my daughter from a top operation in Newport.. but that is not the place to sell a Hatteras.. she is a sailer.

Spin
    Last edited by spindrift; 03-20-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Hi. Do you have any additional photos and details on the vessel? Hrs, current work being done upgrades, bow thruster etc?

Was this boat repowered? Don't think I ever saw one with the 735HP 8V92s
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Was this boat repowered? Don't think I ever saw one with the 735HP 8V92s
    It's got "lotsa" electronics too!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I agree on the above points. You will need a complete presentation with a lot of information to get someone to look at your boat. This is what good brokers do best- put all the ingredients together to make the most attractive package, as well as advising you on how to realistically price your boat to get it to sell.

MYs are selling better than convertibles right now, is my understanding, and it is early spring. You should consider moving your boat, as he said- the number of available buyers is higher in the areas mentioned.

Finally, it is true that older boats are much harder to finance. But that doesn't seem to have deterred quite a number of buyers of older MYs who have come up with the cash on their own to buy boats like this one. When you look at the cost of a much newer boat, an older Hatteras that's been well kept up starts to look like an even better deal, providing she gets through her surveys and sea trials without problems.

Lotsa lectronics.LORAN, SATNAV, 8 track, quadrapbonic audio system. 19" color tv...

Ok that's just mean but should get the point across.

Like said earlier. A good honest broker will earn his commission.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have a complete detail sheet and 70 pictures, of which I plan to get posted; except I'm away & will do this as soon as I can.

Thanks for your solid points Jim. It is good to have the wise old yachtsman opine on this.

I honestly do agree with you that are clearly are older buyers who can come up with quite a bit of cash to purchase an older motor yacht. Some are downsizing from homes ( or have home equity lines of credit) others sell business or take their stock options when retiring. I have looked at building a new motor yacht and it is hard to justify even when looking at some of the lower cost Asian yards (the quality is just too questionable to me).

Rather, take a solid MY like a Hatt 58 MY or 67 CPMY and refit / even repower. Even with a major refit the acquisition and refit cost is at least half or more likely 1/3 the cost of a new boat. Think of the depreciation that you would experience in 5 years of ownership of a new 60 foot MY (my guess is 40%). That financial hit is far greater than what you would spend on a refit and some modest depreciation on a 25- 30 year old hat.

The numbers don't lie.

Spin

Thanks for the plug Spin, I appreciate it.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"