Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cold Galvanizing Paint on Props??

I read online that using cold galvanizing paint from a hardware store, is an option over the expensive paints sold at marine stores. Anyone try this before?

Phil

Re: Cold Galvanizing Paint on Props??

Yes. It worked very well . I put 3 coats on my props and running gear about 18 months ago. After 12 months all I needed was light scraping on the shafts.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

On my way to Lowes....

Thanks

Phil

I tried this 4-5 years ago and it was worn off in the 1200 or so mile trip down the coast, but it was only one coat. BTW, I used both Pettit and Rustoleum and saw no difference. Last November I had the yard apply 3-4 coats of the Rustoleum and only have 400-500 miles under the keel and performance seems fine. I've not has a diver check the gear yet.

Bobk
    1981 48MY
    Lying Port St Lucie

This sounds very interesting. Could you elaborate on the specifics, ie, benefits, purpose etc.

I can't get that stuff to stay on a CQR anchor that just sits on the deck and NEVER goes in the water!

Can't think how it would stay on a prop…maybe the brand I use on the anchor is inferior…
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I notice it comes in both a spray can and a quart you can brush on. Which application method did you use? And was there any special techniques that may have helped adhesion?

My gear was sanded clean and then the Rustoleum spray was applied, three coats, 4-5 cans if I recall. Neighbors at Baltimore Yacht Club, who do not cruise as much as I do report that it reduced fouling for one season. As I said, one coat in my first try didn't last the 1200 mile cruise from Baltimore to Marathon. I'm hoping for better results from three coats.

Bobk

My diver said it would not work, but I put 5 or 6 coats of spray Rustoleom on my previously bare props and shafts. Now, a year and a half later, and about 500 NM, no barnacles on the props. Plenty of barnacles on a couple of spots on the upper shafts where I could not cover well due to wanting to avoid overspray on the anti-fouling. The guy that told me about it the first place asked if I had ever seen barnacles growing on a sacrificial zinc. I that I had not, I gave it a try. Works for me.

I use barnacle barrier spray from Petit on props ,shafts,rudders and struts.Other members in my club see how clean my running gear is when I haul now about a dozen others use it.