Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: How accurate is NADA boat value on a 1970 53' Motor Yacht

LISTEN TO THESE GUYS!!! They have all made the mistakes and have a grate knowledge of these old boats. ALL THAT GLITTERS ANIT GOLD just painted white..... Take the NADA book to the out house and use it for paper. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by douglasl View Post
    Thank you all for the info. Would anyone here have access to what Hatteras 53' MYs have been selling for in the West Coast?

I don't know local brokers well enough, and they give me the run around of the latest sales. Like if they have no way of finding out. I know they have a computer system where they have that database, plus the famous "book". I just don't have access to it.

If, and when I do make an offer, I don't want to just place an embarrassingly low offer. I've never been one to take advantage of others. I just want to make a fair offer for the value. If the fair value is low, then that's what it is. This would also help me if I keep looking for other Hatteras MYs. That is pretty much the layout and boat type that I like.

Douglas
    Make a offer! If the seller is wanting to sell, they will counter. On our boat, I stayed on the seller to point they were so frustrated, they counter lower then my low offer. That day I bought our boat.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Wow. I did not expect so much information and assistance from you guys. You all really have gone "overboard", pun intended, in helping me out.

I will make another call to the broker and see where we go from there.

Please don't stop giving more advice. This would be the first yacht I've owned. Largest before this was a 38'.

Regards,

Douglas

Hi douglasl

Lets see...Exhaust Manifolds, Mold, Water Damage, Core Delamination, Leaky Corroded Window Frames, AND it needs paint??? $175,000??? Are you kidding???

For the sake of argument, this sounds like an "average" 1971 53. NADA might be closer than you think. $47,950 in actual "trade value" dollars? Sadly, It sounds about right in this case. 5 years from now, the current owner will probably take that offer!

At this price range there are, I believe, far better boats available. Don't step up to the bigger boat without stepping in the right direction. Double the repair and refit budget you think you'll need. Then double it again.

Be willing to spend a few more dollars to get to a better starting place. It will pay for itself, and you'll enjoy it more.

Listed for 179,900 and owner turned down an offer of 175000? Not likely.

Lots of serious structural work needs to be done according to the survey. And paint, on top of those costs. Run, Forrest, run.

They are ALL entirely correct. This is a hole in the water which will suck in your bank account and leave you nada. Speaking of Nada.

Keep looking. There's a nice Hatteras out there with your name on it. You cannot put lipstick on a pig- well, you can, but you will still have a pig and a foolish-looking one in the bargain. Wait for a good boat with solid systems and structures, not something that is waiting to ambush your bank roll.

Quote Originally Posted by tjshuler View Post
    Listed for 179,900 and owner turned down an offer of 175000? Not likely.
    If true, and it's not, an offer that close to asking price would merely see the broker taking a haircut in order to get the deal done. No chance this is true.

An excellent point. Someone isn't telling you the truth.

This sounds like a boat that would not even be worth the price in the forties- at least in the sense that you would have to spend far more than that to get it into decent usable shape.

Have any of you guys looked at the pictures of the engine room?
    It appears to have new ac units, the exhaust insulation isn't 40 years old.
    The engines have 350 hours. Unless they were rebuilt by a dealer and come
    with some type of warranty,that may or may not be worth anything.
    Get somebody that knows something about the systems involved and find out what you have.
    Not trying to be a smart ass but you're going to have to do a little more homework than asking
    "what's this boat worth". The price sounds high for today's market but condition is critical.