Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marine Air

Marine Air

I've got the original marine air units on our 46C.

Obviously they're loud. Not bad enough to pull out running equipment though.

Question is, are newer units of the same size going to be any more efficient?

Re: Marine Air

Hello,
    I replaced a very old AC with a new Marineair 16K on my 38' sailboat before I came to the 'other' side.
    I would say absolutely yes, they are certainly easier on electricity, not as noisy with a smaller footprint.
    Having said that, the 3 older units I have on my Hatteras work very well. (Cold AND hot). I have no plans to replace as long as they continue to work.
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    I've got the original marine air units on our 46C.

Obviously they're loud. Not bad enough to pull out running equipment though.

Question is, are newer units of the same size going to be any more efficient?
    I just replaced 4 compressors and evaporators and fams. Can not speal for the cool air yet but much much hotter and a lot less noise. I can not hear the compressors come on..

The rotary compressor units are quieter than the piston type ones. I think most of the newer units have rotary compressors.

That said, I still have one of the original compressor chassis built by CruiseAire on my 1971 Hatteras. It is extremely unlikely that anything that you buy new now will last that long. So the new ones will run quieter and use less juice, but you won't get thirty or forty years out of them.

That's my problem, I have nothing against the Webasto units. It's quiet and cheap. BUT, the 2 Cruiseairs in the ER are still doing their thing and I know the Webastos or even more expensive units will be dead before the half life on these Cruiseairs.

Utility bills on the boat in the winter are about the same as a 3200 sq.' house. Maybe replace 1 unit and just crank up the remaining "growler" for those dead of summer days to take the edge off...

Yeah, quieter units would be nice but our 1980 53MY has all four of it's original Cruisairs and they can still run you out of the boat on heat or cool with water temps at 40 or above. Actually, I have stayed on the boat for two weeks with water temps in the upper 30's and the heat production was fine. But the compressors' cycling is noisy for guests in the guest SR with the compressors in the port ER.

However we found an easy and excellent solution for guest complaints re noise in the guest SR; we don't invite guests!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

You know.....

What he isn't telling you is that they invite themselves. And then I have to hear about it.

AKA, those units WILL run you out of there. CruiseAires may use a lot of juice, but they blast out a lot of cold air.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You know.....

What he isn't telling you is that they invite themselves. And then I have to hear about it.

AKA, those units WILL run you out of there. CruiseAires may use a lot of juice, but they blast out a lot of cold air.
    i thought long and hard about changing them they were looked original.. I leave my home dock and go about by water 70 miles to Hatteras to fish the summer. It is hot there... Last year the systems kep up but they ran a lot. Of course the water was hot. I changed them for two reasons. I stay on the boat when in Hatteras the fans are loud and the compressor start up sounds like they are worn out and loud and wake me up. I changed the controlls to smx 11 from smx. The old units did not have a good air filter system the new ones have a filter attached i like it. All i hear now is the water sloshing, I can certainly live with that. Although my wife said it makes her have to use the head more. can not win.