Hi my name is Andy and we recently bought a 1967 50ft. Hatteras extended up in Montreal. I am a 100 ton master with several years of experience working offshore in Louisiana running a utility vessel. I have zero experience in recreational boats. We were bringing the boat down from Montreal and we were about three miles off shore from Long Island NY, when I lost power in the one remaining good engine. We bought this boat with one blown 871 Detriot. About 15 hours Pryor to breaking down I had the engine serviced (changed oil and filters) at a marina on the Hudson. They put in a #10 micron primary fuel filter. I also had both fuel tanks cleaned and the remaining fuel polished. The new mechanic at the next marina told us that Detroit diesel engines need a less restricted fuel filter as in a # 30. We will be heading south to Florida on April 12th. Does anyone here have an idea on this problem or maybe another problem that may be occurring to our boat. I sure would appreciate any feed back from this forum.
Thankyou.
Andy Seymoure