Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Looking to buy 1983 36c

Looking at buying a 1983 36 c the boat is clean it has 671s 1800 hours on the engines. I was surprised at how clean the boat is for a 83. I am use to buying newer boats. Currently have a 2010 hydrasports cc. I really want to get into a sports fisher. My neighbor has recommended this boat he says the guy that owns it has really taken care of it. He is asking 50,000 he is older and tired of taking care of it. Please give me your opinions. Should I keep my center console or take the plunge. Is buying a older boat ok? I really appreciate any feed back. Is the 36c series 11 a good boat pros and cons. Thanks

Re: Looking to buy 1983 36c

Quote Originally Posted by tiffeagle View Post
    Looking at buying a 1983 36 c the boat is clean it has 671s 1800 hours on the engines. I was surprised at how clean the boat is for a 83. I am use to buying newer boats. Currently have a 2010 hydrasports cc. I really want to get into a sports fisher. My neighbor has recommended this boat he says the guy that owns it has really taken care of it. He is asking 50,000 he is older and tired of taking care of it. Please give me your opinions. Should I keep my center console or take the plunge. Is buying a older boat ok? I really appreciate any feed back. Is the 36c series 11 a good boat pros and cons. Thanks
    In my thoughts. The main idear is what do YOU want in a boat. If you are expecting to go fast 25 knots or faster keep what you got. If you are settling down and traveling a little have at it. The 36 is a good starter. Any Hatteras is a good start. Fishing: I do not know where you fish out of but the 36 does not have a tun of range. Maybee some current 36 owners will tune in.
    If you post some picks and equipment you will get some openions.
    Tim

The 36 Series II boat is roomy and I think slow. We have a couple of owners of them here. Maynard, maybe? They have better interior accommodations than the original 36, but are not as fast. A boat with 6-71s- well, they weigh a lot and don't put out much power for their weight.

Look at the 37 with 6/it's in it they're alot faster and I know a number of them used to run the offshore jersey canyons. Like the series 1 38 they're a bucking bronco in a head sea. Wide short boats tend to do that
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I will be fishing out of Fort Pierce, Florida on average at the most 40 mile round trip. I would like to go to the Bahamas on occasion. Defiantly ready for a sport fish. I have a wife and 2 small kids. The sportfish is better. I would rather go slower with a better ride verse the center console. Just concerned about buying a older boat. Thanks for any feedback.

I have the same bout only its an 1985 with galley up and gas engines. 40 m i les round trip should not be an issue especially with diesels. The tank holds 350 gallons. This was my first convertible and love it. Very solid ride. Roomy interior. Large cockpit. You will not have to pick your days offshore like you do with your cc but he fuel you use will be 3 times as much. You will need to get used to going slower. Mine tops out 18-20 knots and cruies nicely at 15-16.
    I wish mine had diesels for a bit more speed and fuel economy.