Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air draft for 43MY

Could someone tell me the air draft for an 1985 43MY, including typical radar on arch?

Re: Air draft for 43MY

I did a few measurements on ours and came up with about 17.5 feet. Of course your mileage may vary so have it checked. We normally sneak under bridges with a 19 foot clearance but all of the antennas get knocked down.
    I measured by checking from the arch down to the deck by the wing doors, and then standing on the dock from there down to the water and adding them up.
    Regards
    Dan

Thanks a lot. We are planning to head out of Lk Michigan next fall down the Ten-Tom. Was hoping to get under the bridge in Chicago at about 17' The boat is new to us and still in storage until spring and I don't have access to it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by orthomartin View Post
    Thanks a lot. We are planning to head out of Lk Michigan next fall down the Ten-Tom. Was hoping to get under the bridge in Chicago at about 17' The boat is new to us and still in storage until spring and I don't have access to it right now.
    I'd make some VERY careful measurements before I tried that. I looked around a bit and it seems there is an alternate route. I am thinking you will take that route (Cal Sag Channel?) to be safe.
    Regards
    Dan

5. Re: Air draft for 43MY

Quote Originally Posted by orthomartin View Post
    The BNSF bridge south of Chicago is around 19', not 17'. I think the 17' figure refers to the low point on the Erie Canal.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

http://www.greatloop.org/frequently-...cms-84#Answer1

"From Lake Michigan the Chicago River flows through downtown Chicago and becomes the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. The lowest bridge through this route is 17 feet at mile 320.4, an inoperable bascule railroad bridge. The other route, the Cal Sag Channel, has a bridge height restriction of 20-something feet. Either way you must be able to clear the 19.1 feet fixed bridge mentioned above which is down river of both channels"
    Regards
    Dan

Just fill the bilges with enough water and you'll fit.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by captainwjm View Post
    The BNSF bridge south of Chicago is around 19', not 17'. I think the 17' figure refers to the low point on the Erie Canal.
    19' is the magic number, but you have to keep in mind there will be some fluctuations in water level that will increase/decrease that amount. I can't see any problems with a 43MY as I would think it has a lower air draft than a 43DC. I know of several of those who have made the loop. If there's a way around that fixed bridge, it's news to me.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here's where the confusion on 17' comes in...

1. Where is the lowest bridge that must be cleared with no alternate route around it?

The lowest bridge that cannot be avoided on the Great Loop/Great Circle Route is 19.7 feet at mile 300.6 on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal after the Chicago River/Sanitary and Ship Canal and the Calumet Sag Channel join south-west of Chicago. This is the AT&S Railroad Bridge which is shown on the charts as a swing bridge. It is inoperable and no longer opens. THERE IS NO WATER ROUTE AROUND THIS FIXED BRIDGE FOR GREAT LOOP CRUISERS.

From Lake Michigan the Chicago River flows through downtown Chicago and becomes the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. The lowest bridge through this route is 17 feet at mile 320.4, an inoperable bascule railroad bridge. The other route, the Cal Sag Channel, has a bridge height restriction of 20-something feet. Either way you must be able to clear the 19.1 feet fixed bridge mentioned above which is down river of both channels
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks all but I am fully aware of the bridge heights for the route, I was only looking for air draft of the 43MY with the typical open array radar. I believe it is close to 17 to 17.5 feet. If that is the case and the water is not at high datum the Chicago route may be possible, otherwise we will go the 11 miles south for the alternate