Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A hull shape I've never seen before

I came across a rather interestingly shaped hull bottom. It looks like it might work well, but the fact that I have never seen this shape make me think otherwise. Any thoughts?

striker profile.jpg

striker bow.jpg
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: A hull shape I've never seen before

I think it is an old Striker

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    I think it is an old Striker
    You got it. It pretty sure it's a 37 Striker.
    Jack Sardina

kind of a neat looking boat if you take all that tower crap off the top.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

I thought Jim R. used to have a Striker. Could it be his old boat?

One of the worst riding boats I've ever been on! When we were thinking about re powering our 34 we happened to take a trip to Lauderdale that winter. The old man and I were riding around Lauderdale and saw the striker dealer on 84. Had to be 70/71 Strikers were just coming into the country and they were just a super cool looking boat. The old man cut a deal to trade our 34 for the 37 striker. Thank god we had a sea trial and it was a sloppy day. Trying to keep is going in a straight line in any kind of sea except a straight on head sea was near impossible. A floating empty beer can is the best possible description. Endless to say we ran away from the deal!!! A couple years later I mated a few times on a 44 called the "French Leave" it wasn't much better. That boat would become well known when the owners girlfriend disappeared off the boat between Atlantic city And Cape May.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I thought Jim R. used to have a Striker. Could it be his old boat?
    No Jim had a 44 besides there are plenty of them out there.
    Jack Sardina

Not my old boat, which was a 44. Mine was sold to a fellow in NJ, I think. But I don't think it was the one the woman disappeared off. Wasn't that guy a public official or something, or am I confusing it with something else?

As I remember, it had a decent ride in a seaway, but was cold and damp inside and very noisy- about what you'd expect from an aluminum boat, I guess. Strikers were built by different yards- some in Norway, some in Chile. Mine was made by Fjellstrand Aluminum Yachts in Norway. It was very sturdily built, but really wasn't in good shape when I got it and required a lot of updates. With what I know now I would never have bought it, but I didn't know anything then.

They are tough boats, but any aluminum boat is maintenance intensive and you really have to know what you are doing. I didn't. Rebuilding a metal boat is even more demanding than doing a fiberglass one, and my hat is off to Quentin for what he's accomplished on the Roamer.

Quentin, you ought to tackle a Striker next. A 41 or 44 with a pair of QSM11s would be a real speed demon. Probably almost as fast as a 45 Hatteras with the same engines

I think the hull form is commonly called "Delta-Conic" and was best developed by a NA named Harry Schoell.

Wide flat chines that run the length of the vessel.
    Last edited by sandspur1966; 01-30-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    Shawn
    58 MY

He had a restraunt/bar called partners 3 just outside of AC. Growing up running the docks as a dock rat it was interesting to see the wives and kids leave then a couple hours later the girlfriends would show up. Seems it was always the sportfish guys. The MY guys always had some battle axe that never let the poor slob out of her sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Not my old boat, which was a 44. Mine was sold to a fellow in NJ, I think. But I don't think it was the one the woman disappeared off. Wasn't that guy a public official or something, or am I confusing it with something else?

As I remember, it had a decent ride in a seaway, but was cold and damp inside and very noisy- about what you'd expect from an aluminum boat, I guess. Strikers were built by different yards- some in Norway, some in Chile. Mine was made by Fjellstrand Aluminum Yachts in Norway. It was very sturdily built, but really wasn't in good shape when I got it and required a lot of updates. With what I know now I would never have bought it, but I didn't know anything then.

They are tough boats, but any aluminum boat is maintenance intensive and you really have to know what you are doing. I didn't. Rebuilding a metal boat is even more demanding than doing a fiberglass one, and my hat is off to Quentin for what he's accomplished on the Roamer.

Quentin, you ought to tackle a Striker next. A 41 or 44 with a pair of QSM11s would be a real speed demon. Probably almost as fast as a 45 Hatteras with the same engines
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present