Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

best replacement for water temp gauge 58yf 871ti's

I've got a water temp gauge that is going bad and I'm sure somebody here knows what to use as an oem replacement. I'm thinking as long as I can find a gauge that uses the same ohm range I should be good. I should say that the setup is factory dual station with a mechanical back up in the engine room. I checked all of the connections at the sending unit, and I'm 90% sure the problem is in the gauge.
    I would have posted a parts wanted here, but I don't know anybody that had these. Yes, I called Sam's and they don't have them.
    Yes, I could change both gauges and the sending unit, but I prefer to keep as much of the vessel oem in this instance.
    FYI the problem is when the engine hearts up the lower helm gauge reads much hotter much faster than the actual temp. When the engine is operating at 170 degrees the gauge pegs out indication overheating. The mechanical gauge in the ER shows 170 which is identical to the gauge on the flybridge.
    In any event, does anybody know of an off the shelf replacement for the gauge that will work with the existing sending unit?
    Thank you for your time. So thankful to have this forum.

Re: best replacement for water temp gauge 58yf 871ti's

Quote Originally Posted by mr hatt View Post
    I've got a water temp gauge that is going bad and I'm sure somebody here knows what to use as an oem replacement. I'm thinking as long as I can find a gauge that uses the same ohm range I should be good. I should say that the setup is factory dual station with a mechanical back up in the engine room. I checked all of the connections at the sending unit, and I'm 90% sure the problem is in the gauge.
    I would have posted a parts wanted here, but I don't know anybody that had these. Yes, I called Sam's and they don't have them.
    Yes, I could change both gauges and the sending unit, but I prefer to keep as much of the vessel oem in this instance.
    FYI the problem is when the engine hearts up the lower helm gauge reads much hotter much faster than the actual temp. When the engine is operating at 170 degrees the gauge pegs out indication overheating. The mechanical gauge in the ER shows 170 which is identical to the gauge on the flybridge.
    In any event, does anybody know of an off the shelf replacement for the gauge that will work with the existing sending unit?

Swap the gauges and see if the problem follows
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I know I can swap the gauge to troubleshoot the matter. Thank you for the input. The question I'm asking is has anyone found a suitable replacement for a factory gauge that works with the factory sending unit?
    Thank you for your time.

I found these on ebay and I'm thinking they may work. My guess is that Stewart Warner probably used the same ohm range on most if not all of these gauges. It can't hurt to try for the money and as near as I can tell they look oem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-Warn...c20c6e&vxp=mtr

What do you guys think?

I think that SW gauge will work for you--give it a try!

Some time back, when looking for a temp sensor for my 8V92s, I found the Detroit part cross referenced to TS6, which RockAuto said also worked on a 1967 GMC 3500 van.

DAN

Post a pick you may get lucky. I just purchased 15 gages from madhatter i only want to keep one set if i have two of what you want we can do business Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    Post a pick you may get lucky. I just purchased 15 gages from madhatter i only want to keep one set if i have two of what you want we can do business Tim
    I Just missed getting those. I came across his repower and sent him a pm 2 days ago about his gauges. Oh well, you snooze you lose right?

Hopefully I can get one of these Stewart Warner Gauges from Summit to work. If not or if you feel like selling one of your temp gauges please let me know.

Clint

I Just missed getting those. I came across his repower and sent him a pm 2 days ago about his gauges. Oh well, you snooze you lose right?

Hopefully I can get one of these Stewart Warner Gauges from Summit to work. If not or if you feel like selling one of your temp gauges please let me know.

Clint
    Clint, of course i will
    I have not looked in the box yet if i have two temp gages you are welcom to one. I am at home the gages are in the dock box about 130 miles away. Mad hatter can tell you i know there are two sets short one but do not know which one. I am not trying to make money on someones desire so you can bet it will be at what i paid about 30$ each. Just let me know. OOO freight on you.
    I might not be able to spell worth a poot but i got a good hart Freebird!! Griff is expensive!!!
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-31-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Tim, thank you so much. I don't think I've ever come across a group of people that are so helpful to one another. We all share our information, or experiences, and our parts simply because we care about one another, our brand, and because we choose to pay it forward.
    Clint