I have been a Hatteras fan for almost 40 years now. Fist one I saw was a 48 lrc when I was about 10 years old.

I would like to buy a cruiser in the next few years. I have not looked at any in person. I like Grand Banks, they have reasonable prices, good fuel economy, but might not offer enough space. Most of the time it will be a family of four with 2 small dogs, but possibly nephews and nieces and in-laws coming along for a long weekend.

I like the 53my/58yf for the spacious salon with openness to the helm, looks like they can sleep 8 with a sleeper sofa added.

I really like the 58/65 lrc for displacement cruising with better economy. But they seem to be listed for much higher prices.

I would probably keep the boat for about 10 years, then convert to RVing full time.

So, what are your inputs on this? A 53/58 with big detroits would use more fuel, but even at hull speed, would I be any better off with an LRC to offset purchase price?
In the next 7-8 years we would be mostly sticking to long weekend cruising and would give me time to work on a boat that is not turn key. I can do all the work myself, except for majors on the engines.
Then we would do the great loop, mostly as a couple, but with visitors on occasion. Also would like to hang around the Bahamas/Caribbean for some time. And if we love it and time permits, a cruise to Alaska.

For those of you that have bought with my same intentions, what did you end up going with and do you still have the same boat? Hatteras or Grand Banks?
Thanks for any input,
Ron