Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: WTB Hatteras 45C or 46C

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Island View Post
    Forgot to say, the Bertram is a 1982
    one of the best looking boats of her era and a legend for good reason. The 46 Berts run real nice with QSM11s. A fair amount have been repowered with them. Great boat with amazing rough water handling. They do rock a lot on a drift due to the deep V and the ER is a bit tight but she will be much improved with the Cummins. She'll also run a bit faster than the 46 or 45 Hatts with the same power. The Bert also has more beam making her a bit bigger than the Hatts.
    Jack Sardina

Thanks Tony, I will take your invitation if I have a chance to go in February or March.

Main reason for prefer a 2 head option is to separate guest and crew head during overnight charter.
    If I go for a 45 or 46, at the end it will come down to what is available when the time comes for the purchase. Engines and general conditions of the boat will be more important than 45 or 46, 1 or 2 head.

The other day I found a Bertram 46 with QSM-11 660 hp, 3 stateroom / 2 head. A little bit to much for my private use but excellent for the overnight charter.
    Not so much information about the Bertram as for Hatteras on the Internet. I appreciate if someone can give some input about advantages / disadvantages compared to Hatteras.
    The offer stands, so just let me know when you may be in town and I'll take you for a ride or make arrangement for my friend to take you if I'm not there.

As far as the difference between the 45, 46 Hatts and the 46 Bertram. Like mentioned above, the Bertram and is about a foot wider and a great Sea boat while up and running but has a bit more roll to it while drifting. Can't fault the Hull though, very heavily built and a great overall design.

The biggest difference to me is the Hatteras has a better overall fit and finish. What I mean by that is this. The Bertram has misc. panels all over it that are just screwed into place and over time get funky, swell, loosen up and just look bad. They are on the inside of the angled wings coming down from the bridge, On the under side of the cockpit and transom coaming. The name badge and the aluminum around guts rough along with the window frames and the rubrail. Also on a lot of them the entire rear deck is a giant screwed in piece of glass and some were even a glassed over wood that would rot. Great if you need to pull a tank or work in there but just doesn't look as good. The Entire flybridge is screwed into place with the screws being visiable not only on the interior but also the exterior of the bridge. The other thing I don't like about the bridge is older models have an offset Helm and most if not all have an 8 to 12 inch hump to step over to get to the forward seating on the bridge as well. Also things like the hardware, it doesn't seem to look as good over time and the bow pulpits through bolted instead of glassed in place like on the Hatteras. Not a big deal as far as strength or function, just doesn't look as clean.

Lastly, the interior is much more workman like on the Bertram and not finished of nearly as nice as the Hatteras wood work and decor. The Bertram was and still is a great fishing platform able to run in most any conditions but to me the Hatteras has a much better balance between an all out fish boat, and a fish boat with Motoryacht comforts and attention to detail. For this reason it's hard to find clean old Bertrams because most of them were rode hard to fish and put away wet. Where even though some Hatteras' were fished that way, alot of them were more of a dual use boat. Criusing with the Family one week and fished the other. Not to mention Many Hatteras' Convertibles never saw a fish on board but were purchased to be used as a fast good handleing family cruiser for the guy who didn't want a slow, rolly Polly Boxy Motoryacht. I'd say, at least to me these are the main differences. Both great boats, one leaned toward fishing, one toward cruising, with a huge overlap in between.

Tony

Thanks Tony, very good analysis.
    Which are the specific spots to look for rotten wood? I read that the engine room takes in salt water through the vents. The one I mentioned have a few spots of rust on the engines were they are attached to the hull and also the generator have a some rust.

Thanks Tony, very good analysis.
    Which are the specific spots to look for rotten wood? I read that the engine room takes in salt water through the vents. The one I mentioned have a few spots of rust on the engines were they are attached to the hull and also the generator have a some rust.
    Only on the older Betrams,,, the entire cockpit deck could have rotting problems. I believe they made the decks out of a product called or they called "Nidacore". I could be wrong but I believe that's what its called. Also Iv'e seen a few where the rear Bulkhead develops soft spots, which if that's the case it's an easier repair than some other boats because the tackle centers are not molded in but rather set and screwed into place. So they can easily be removed to get to the bulkhead. Also like you mentioned they do get salt in engine rooms I believe from the type of air scope vent sticking up of the decks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Bertrams. I think they're great boats and would be proud to own one. I was just trying to point out the differences and things to look for.

That being said if you can find a nice clean 42, 43, 46 Betram don't be afraid to jump on it. Those are all nice looking, great riding boats that are over built and able to take on any sea your willing to go out in.

I'd have to say the 46 is my favorite of that era, nice low cockpit freeboard, high bow and overall great looks. Next step up in size and price I'd say the 1987 and newer 50 Bertram, but thats a whole different discussion.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Only on the older Betrams,,, the entire cockpit deck could have rotting problems. I believe they made the decks out of a product called or they called "Nidacore". I could be wrong but I believe that's what its called. Also Iv'e seen a few where the rear Bulkhead develops soft spots, which if that's the case it's an easier repair than some other boats because the tackle centers are not molded in but rather set and screwed into place. So they can easily be removed to get to the bulkhead. Also like you mentioned they do get salt in engine rooms I believe from the type of air scope vent sticking up of the decks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Bertrams. I think they're great boats and would be proud to own one. I was just trying to point out the differences and things to look for.

That being said if you can find a nice clean 42, 43, 46 Betram don't be afraid to jump on it. Those are all nice looking, great riding boats that are over built and able to take on any sea your willing to go out in.

I'd have to say the 46 is my favorite of that era, nice low cockpit freeboard, high bow and overall great looks. Next step up in size and price I'd say the 1987 and newer 50 Bertram, but thats a whole different discussion.

Tony

I believe you mean nautalex. It was put over plywood.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I believe you mean nautalex. It was put over plywood.
    Thanks you qre coorect. I couldn't think of it...

Tony

Only the early ones had wood cockpits with Nautilux. A lot of improvements were made over the years and he is looking at an '82 boat which is later in the production run. A nice 46 Bertram with QSM11 would be an excellent choice and hard to beat in this size range.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Only the early ones had wood cockpits with Nautilux. A lot of improvements were made over the years and he is looking at an '82 boat which is later in the production run. A nice 46 Bertram with QSM11 would be an excellent choice and hard to beat in this size range.
    I 100% Agree. Like I said I'd be proud to own one. They're great boats and I seriously looked at 46 Bertram when we bought our 45. The deal just wasn't as good and I do prefer the Hatteras' product a bit more, but wouldn't in any way shy away from a good Bertram deal. The 46 we looked at had 8v92's and wasn't much faster, if at all and the owner wouldn't budge much on his asking price. Like I said, All thing being equal, which they seldom are I'd take the Hatteras, but a great deal on a nicely equiped 46 Bertram would be sweet as well.

Tony

I finally bought the 45C named Fog Cutter from Slidell, LA discussed in another tread in this forum. It cost me more than my initial budget but I think it was worth it. The Qsm 11 are great engines. We moved the boat on it's own hull to Rep. of Panama, 200hrs on the engines over 12 days with stop in Mexico (Isla Mujeres) and Roatan (Honduras). We faced some really bad weather over the Gulf and in Mexico and between Isla Mujeres y Cozumel forcing us to seek port in Cozumel for 2 days. The boat did well in spite of 35 miles wind and I do not know the size of the waves but they were huge at times.

I have some minor issues like tighten lose screws etc. that I will need to take care of after the trip and for sure I will come back asking for your valuable advise over the course of time.

that's a great well loved boat. enjoy!!! keep us updated on your adventures.