Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Block heater capacity DD 6-71

Are 400W 115V block heaters sufficient to keep the DD 6-71 warm, not hot as I do not intend on heating the engine room by keeping the block heaters on, just to facilitate the starting in winter when i kick the engines every couple of weeks. From your experience, how long would it take to warm the engines up with 400W block heaters? Rough calculation shows 6 hours to raise the temperature by 80F but guess that does not show the loss due to ambient temperature and the size of the engine that needs to heat up, it is only the 10 Gallon of water to heat up by 80 F in 6 hours.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: Block heater capacity DD 6-71

I put in 750W and that is more than enough. With 750W, have to turn them off to cook to keep from throwing a breaker.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Re: Block heater capacity DD 6-71

I would go bigger to make warm up a bit faster. Put a thermostat on them so you could keep them on if you choose to. I had 1500 watt heaters in my 6V92s and loved them. I have the same heaters in my 12v92s and wish they were bigger.
    Jack Sardina