Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1979 4e dc..glass sea water strainer assy

starting to drip between the glass and the bronze housing, is as tight as I feel safe, is there a gasket there ?

Re: 1979 4e dc..glass sea water strainer assy

Assuming it is the standard Perko of that era, yes. Here's a good source of Perko parts:

http://www.cgedwards.com/Perko/pko305-11.html

They are helpful as well as take orders on the phone too.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I got some gasket material (the red stuff) and cut one out with a razor knife. It worked pretty good. No leaks. Or you could just buy some.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Mine has Groco strainers. They leaked after new gasket install and were as tight as we were comfortable with. We called Groco and they said "crank down on them really, really tight" We did that and now they don't leak.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Mine appear to be grocos as well will try and get some red rubber gasket mtl and make a couple.

IIRC the OEM Groco gaskets are cork.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

probably easier on the glass part when tightened, emailed groco but no response yet..

I have never had any luck tightening my grocos to stop them from sucking air on my engine strainers. I replace the rubber o rings every year with groco parts. I once had a o rings made by a seal place and they still sucked air. You can order directly from groco but the shipping to Canada is more than the parts. I get them from a local marine store here called Dowsar Marine, cost is about 30.00 per set which is half the cost of West Marine and they have an online site. They pick up the phone when you call and will call you back if they have to search. I recommend them for their service.

Walt Hoover

I remember replacing those groco gaskets where glass met bronze - so thin and flimsy! I wasn't comfortable knowing that little gasket was only thing keeping the boat from sinking. I did mine about 8 years ago and no problems. However, if I recall correctly, I think I used a small smear of black rtv above and below the gaskets. This was mainly to keep the gasket in place as it was so thin width wise it was hard to get plexiglass site cylinder to sit directly on top of it all the way around. Got my parts direct from Groco.

Most of the time Groco's leak air is because the delrin washer under the wingnut is missing.