Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Parallel Switch

Parallel Switch

I had the need to use the parallel switch this weekend. My starbord battery bank is dying, which explains some other issues. On my model, 87 63 MY, the switch works by tilting toward the bank that needs a boost. I've never had the need to use the switch before, and when both battery banks are good, it would appear the switch would work in either direction. Based on today's experience, on this model, if the starbord needs a boost, tilt the switch to starbord and port needs a boost, tilt to port.

Re: Parallel Switch

When you say would explain a host of other issues can you explain? It may be helpful to me as I have an issue with my port bank. Thanks.

Re: Parallel Switch

I had a no crank issue about a month ago...I'm speculating that the voltage was too low to activate a secondary solenoid located in the battery isolator box...you'd push the start button and you'd get dead silence and not even a poke to the starter solenoid. As the bank is dying, now I get a thunk from the secondary solenoid, and the traditional rat a tat tat tat from the starter solenoid. I didn't think it was a low voltage issue before because I wasn't getting a voltage drop when the start button was pushed, but now that I know how it works, it probably was low voltage due to battery deterioration. The bank is almost 5 years old.