Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Insurance Co. dropped a bomb on me

My insurance Co. just told me I needed to do another haul out survey next year. Seems they are requiring me to do this every 5 yrs. Boy that was nice of them since I just hauled it out this summer. It has new paint and looks great. Now they are requiring me to haul out again. Is this normal because of the age of the boat. I have Markel insurance but dont mind saying if I haul out and go to the trouble of surveying, I might switch insurance Companies. On top of that they are going up 25% on the rates as well. Do any of yall know a surveyor in the Stuart/Ft. Pierce area? Of course one thats not gonna find too much stuff wrong. Do the surveyors go easy on insurance re-surveys?
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: Insurance Co. dropped a bomb on me

Pate.

Same here! I was told I needed a survey. It has been 6 years for me. I'm with Markel and my rate went up around 10-15%. I still haven't found an insurance company that can match or come close to thier rates.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

I would try Dawn Speros at Gowrie group.

She is a miracle worker, Jack Sardinia here turned me on to her and I can not recommend her strongly enough.

I was due for out of water survey this year and when the surveyor gave me a glowing in-water, they waived the out of water portion based on my maintenance schedules... saving me a boat buck or two... She rocks and can be reached in their newport office at:

http://www.gowrie.com/aboutus/contactus.aspx
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWhisper View Post
    Pate.

Same here! I was told I needed a survey. It has been 6 years for me. I'm with Markel and my rate went up around 10-15%. I still haven't found an insurance company that can match or come close to thier rates.
    I guess they went up on everybody. So much for using the hurricane as the excuse this year. I got a too good to be true quote from Foremost insurance Co. and that even going up on the coverage. I bet you Foremost will beat Markel by a long shot. I dont see the big deal with an out of the water survey anyway. What can you see? Blisters? soft spots? either way its never covered on an insurance policy anyway. They always claim neglect on the owners part. Maybe I'm missing something, I just dont see any reason to haul out. If you are purchasing the boat I can see that.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    I would try Dawn Speros at Gowrie group.

She is a miracle worker, Jack Sardinia here turned me on to her and I can not recommend her strongly enough.

I was due for out of water survey this year and when the surveyor gave me a glowing in-water, they waived the out of water portion based on my maintenance schedules... saving me a boat buck or two... She rocks and can be reached in their newport office at:

http://www.gowrie.com/aboutus/contactus.aspx
    Dawn is by far the best I've ever dealt with. Fantastic service, extremely knowledgeable and understands boats and boaters bet than any insurance agent I've ever dealt with. Only problem you may have is they don't cover Fl during storm season unless you are there full time or own property in Fl. I'd try Dawn first. If she can't help you try seaworthy their rates were much lower than everyone else and policy is very comprehensive. As for the survey, it's pretty common but most don't require a haul out. A good agent like Dawn can take care of that or defer it for you. She's done that for me in the past
    Jack Sardina

The haul is no big deal. Get the bottom checked. New zincs and check the condition of the through hulls. They are more concerned with them than blisters.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Pate I did the same thing in 2012. Planning on the next Insurance Survey 2017. Markel has been good to me. Got a rate reduction since moving North from Charleston. It is important that the Surveyor understands the difference between an Insurance versus purchase survey. You may want to interview the surveyor first.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Pate,

I had what was really close to a bait and switch with Markel when we first bought the boat. I cancelled the contract. Really sleazy stuff.

I am with American Modern now arranged through Strickland in Charleston. Close to Markel on price and NO Florida restrictions. They accepted my 2 year old purchase survey along with an addendum completed when she left the yard. So far so good.

Good Luck,

Russ

Has anyone ever considered getting a Hat owner group rate? I am currently with Falvey through an agent who set up a group for Kady Krogen owners. I know Mike would be happy to looking into one for all of us. Anyone out there who wants to bounce this off their agent?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    Has anyone ever considered getting a Hat owner group rate? I am currently with Falvey through an agent who set up a group for Kady Krogen owners. I know Mike would be happy to looking into one for all of us. Anyone out there who wants to bounce this off their agent?
    Years ago Hatteras approached Gowrie and Dawn to taylor a policy geared towards older Hatts. Dawn's understanding of the quality of older Hatts is what alows her to secure great insurance at very competitive rates. As for Falvey, I looked into them when I was in Fl and Ace wouldn't cover me there during storm season. Falvey would allow Gowrie to write the policy since I wanted to keep them and Dawn in particular. Gowrie wouldn't do it because they felt the policy and company weren't up to their standards so they referred me to Seaworthy instead.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 11-14-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Jack Sardina