Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Detroit Diesel J Tools

I am trying to find a tune up kit for my 8v92s so that my mechanic can do some work. He had all his tools stolen and we are having trouble finding a Tune up Kit with all the J tools in it. The part number from Detroit is j-24790d. Florida Detroit Diesel does not have one and said it will take a month. Do you all have any Idea where to get the kit, or a similar replacement? Thanks.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Re: Detroit Diesel J Tools

Give these guys a try. Ft pierce Diesel. 772-466-3027
    ftpiercediesel@aol.com

Most of DD's tools were made by Kent-Moore.
    http://www.spxkentmoore.com/ 1-800-345-2233
    The website is almost useless, but they're pretty helpful if you call them.
    Good Luck.

Snap-On has DD tools on line:
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/searc...esel&emailUpd=

Send them the entire contents of your wallet - I did!

5. Re: Detroit Diesel J Tools

Yep - Snap-On has what you're looking for.

The problem I was having was that there are many different sizes of tools avaliable from the snap on site and I dont know what to order for my engine. The kit soposedly has the correct tools for our engine based on model year and HP. Any suggestions. I can not claim to know what I am talking about here. This is new to me.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

The service manual for your engine, under the tune up section will show/list the apprpriate tools you need. Only a few are "Detroit Diesel" specific, like the injector height gauges and the offset pushrod wrenches. You must have the correct injector height gauge for your engine/injectors which is listed in the service manual. The offset pushrod wrenches make adjustments MUCH easier - without them I'm not sure you could even make the adjustmants without so much cursing that it isn't worth trying. As I recall, the rest of the tools you need are common - feeler gauges, various normal wrenches/sockets. The advantage of buying the "kit" is that most of what you need to do the job is in there. The disadvantage is you are buying items that you may already have.

Genesis may have additional thoughts about which specific tools you should get. The kit is handy but, but as I said, may not really be necessary. They are often on Ebay.

You can really do it with common tools.
    You need a 1/2 combo wrench
    5/16 combo wrench
    .016 feeler gauge
    .006 feeler gauge
    The modulator should be .454 In a pinch you can mark its position on the rack. then reset later. As far as injector timing I only use the dial gauge. it is the most accurate. with effort the pin will get you close in that case the pin is 1460. I am in St Pete, I will loan you a timing pin if it will help. Dave

9. Re: Detroit Diesel J Tools

You want a set of step-feelers for the valves - they make getting it right much easier, and that setting is CRITICAL to proper performance. You MUST do the final valve setting hot - the cold setting will insure safety on startup but if you want the engine to perform right you have to recheck and adjust after its up to operating temperature. Working on a hot engine is a pain in the ass but there's no way around this one.

The pin gauge is fine for injector height, but it takes care to use it and be accurate. Dial gauges are wonderful but damn expensive and easy to damage - one drop and its toast. Pin gauges are cheap. You choose. Oh, if you want that injector height to be right on, it needs to be checked hot/warm too.

As for the wrenches, I personally find the lockdown nut one useful, but use a common open-end for the pushrod adjustment - I find that easier to be precise with. YMMV on that one.

The throttle delay doesn't have to be exact, although closer is better. Most are .454 and there's a special "clip" type gauge for it. I personally marked off .454 on a feeler gauge blade and use that - I may be off a couple of thousandths that way but it works fine.

If you start doing injector replacements and such a pair of good torque wrenches is a MUST. You need an ACCURATE low-range one (0-25ft/lbs) for the injector hold-down nut and the fuel line nuts, and a higher-range 1/2" drive one (100-150ft/lbs) for the bridge bolts. Torque on the injector hold clamp and fuel line nuts is CRITICAL. You also NEED the split socket for the fuel-line nuts. Finally, you SHOULD have an injector tube brush to clean the carbon out of the tube whenever you replace an injector, lest you get a bad seal and compression leak.

Sorry I have been offline for a while (deer hunting in Georgia) but I have a kit for the 92 series Detroit that I don't need. My current boat has the much maligned MAN's in it (5200 hrs since new & running great). Let me know if you still need it.

Gene