Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

engine won't crank

Help..on the water with 20 onboard..Starbord engine won't crank...Ran fine an hour ago...no response to start button.

Re: engine won't crank

Tried the upper switch, no joy...so I'm thinking it's not the switch

Check all stations to make sure you are in neutral. If the levers are in neutral check that the gears are also in neutral. Check your ignition breakers, try using a different station for ignition and start. When you hit the start button is there any change in voltage? Check inside the battery panel with the selector switch. There is an automotive type "Little Fuse" in there for starting. Hope this helps and good luck
    Jack Sardina

Is it possible to jump the starter lugs on a 12v71?

I warmed the engines before guests arrived, shut them down, and starbord wouldn't hit a lick, no solinoid click, nuttin. No response on upper helm either. I rotated the isolator for the engine...no joy. I'll open the isolator box and check fuses when we stop.

Do the gauges have power? Check for breakers and fuses.

Move a shifter while trying to crank. That will check the neutral safety switch.

You can jump to the exciter lug on the solenoid if you can get to it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The one time this happened to me. with exactly the same symptoms, it was a fuse in the engine room panel.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I see the little fuse in the isolator panel that says start..i get normal power to guages, etc. I can get to the starter lugs easily, but will they be hot? Got red and black starter lugs..just jump across them?

The 20 amp fuse in the isolator box tested good

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I see the little fuse in the isolator panel that says start..i get normal power to guages, etc. I can get to the starter lugs easily, but will they be hot? Got red and black starter lugs..just jump across them?
    If the fuse is blown the only symptom is a no start. All gauges will still work. Check the fuse and holder for continuity. The fuse will typically fail after a start so you have no idea something's wrong until you try to start again. A bad solenoid is possible but I'm betting on a fuse or neutral safety switch. Scott's method of wiggling the shift lever while trying to start should help if it's stuck
    Jack Sardina