Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 2015 hatteras express 45'

The Cabo was not a picnic boat. They were pretty good runners designed to fish. I'd say it's a good start towards the needed change. Hatteras has stagnated over the last 2 owners reigns. At least it looks like they want to rejoin the sport fishing market.

After running a 25kt 34 hatteras from the bridge I can understand the lower express styles appeal. A 45 express should make a nice running boat. Add a small tower and you have a great combination of comfort and capabilities.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I think they will call it a Hatterrayiao.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    If Hatteras wants to become the major player in the production sportfish arena again they've going to have to figure a way to get 2 or 3 moves ahead of Viking, and the target is rapidly moving. Other than the Healy's selling out to a conglomerate, I'm not sure anyone will be able to catch them at this point.
    Couldn't agree more. While I don't think Viking is building the best boat out there, they have taken the lion share of the market. They have a very loyal customer base, strong resale values (if that's even possible) constantly update the line and offer a considerable variety of models. They have done a fantastic job of marketing and growing Viking to a major brand in the SF market.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    If Hatteras wants to become the major player in the production sportfish arena again they've going to have to figure a way to get 2 or 3 moves ahead of Viking, and the target is rapidly moving. Other than the Healy's selling out to a conglomerate, I'm not sure anyone will be able to catch them at this point.
    That's what people said about Hatteras years ago. Its a nice looking boat, just not what we "more traditionalists" like to see as far as lines go. Thing is, there's a ton of people I fondly refer to as "not really boaters" who buy these newer styles to show off, or keep up with their neighbors. Most of this class of boater never visit their ER, and call seatow at the drop of a hat, as they know literally NOTHING about the workings of a boat. I, like many of you, would love to see Hatteras come back with a more traditional sportfisher.........and I'd really like them to come out with a new Yachtfisher. Look at the success Mikelson is having with their new Yachtfish. Hatteras can have a bright future. Give them a little time under the new regime, and hopefully they will catch Viking. Guys.........it could be worse.......Hat could be in Bertrams shoes!

I'm a big fan of the classic Sportfisher, and my favorite looking boat is the Hatteras 53 convertible. That said, these things always evolve and as others have mentioned there are people buying boats that look more modern. I've grown to like the modern styling of the new GT convertible, as well as this 45 Hatteras/Cabo.

Having been on multiple express boat owner, the layout looks practical, with aft seating which does lose you some tackle space but is great for watching lines, as well as for hanging out with the family. I personally have grown to dislike plastic enclosure is and like the glass, but that's a personal taste of mine. With the way other builders are going, I think this boat has a good place. Probably a better finished the boat then the 44 Cabo, with still a solid bottom, and a good ride. Who knows, maybe will all celebrate any year if we hear that they're going to put a convertible on top of it.

As others have also mentioned, I'm sure Hatteras really doesn't care what I think, as I won't be buying one new.

Viking does build a good boat. They continue to expand their productline, and move up and down a couple feet with each model which is probably relatively simple to do, but still keeps the model line looking fresh. I just sold a 43 foot express which was a good boat, not a great boat. There were some stupid things done in building the boat which allowed the coring to get wet in hatches and things like that, that would've been easily preventable in the factory. I liked the ride of the boat, but I always wondered where else do they do this that I don't know about yet. I can also attest to the limber holes not being glassed in the stringers, which with my dry bilge was never a problem for me, but it's another one of those eyebrow raising things. Anyway, years ago they probably said the same thing about Viking catching Hatteras and/or Bertram, so you never know.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)