Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Is Anyone Familiar With This 53C

My son is going to look at this 53C sometime in the next week or so. Does anyone have any knowledge about it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980.../United-States

Thom

Re: Is Anyone Familiar With This 53C

Anytime I have gone by this boat in the dinghy the exterior looks very, very tired. I think the name on the transom is Sea Esta. Looks like it would take alot of TLC. In my experience, if the exterior looks that bad imagine what the machinery spaces look like....Ross

Thanks Ross. I do wonder about the lack of engine pictures in the listing.

Thom

I took a peek at her a few weeks ago. Not very impressed. The boat looks like it is not been cleaned or maintained in some time. I have no idea about how the mechanicals run, but based on the disuse I would imagine she needs a lot of work to get a serviceable, never mind all the cosmetics.

To me I don't think she's worth half of the asking price.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Quote Originally Posted by nor'easter View Post
    I took a peek at her a few weeks ago. Not very impressed. The boat looks like it is not been cleaned or maintained in some time. I have no idea about how the mechanicals run, but based on the disuse I would imagine she needs a lot of work to get a serviceable, never mind all the cosmetics.

To me I don't think she's worth half of the asking price.
    Did you happen to look in the engine room?

Been for sale for a long time. Galley down is a big negative making it a 1stateroom and v berth boat
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by tpld3 View Post
    Did you happen to look in the engine room?
    No obvious disasters, but couldnt get the lights on and didnt have a flashlight. Mains have been spray painted, otherwise not much to say.

This boat has been on the market a long time. I think she was listed when i owned my 39 which i sold in 2009. The listing shows "updates" that re minimal and not kore recent than 2007 except for batteries in 2013, may have been when she was moved to the current brokerage slip. I didnt get into it with the broker as i dont have serious interest. If the mains run ok, she would be a cosmetic project. She looks neglected, but not at all bastardized bu stupid upgrades, pretty original.

The bettter money is on the 1973 listed in marina del ray with Ns that has been tastefull done over.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Thank you gentlemen for your feedback. I did notice that the boat belonged to a member and saw that he wanted to sell it. Has it been listed since 2009?? I wonder if anyone has gone far enough to have it surveyed.

Two staterooms isn't as nice as three but the bigger salon is nice.

Perhaps I'm weird and behind the times but I like original wood much better than painted or upholstered woodwork. Formica isn't so bad and I like having an oven. Some of the upgrades I've seen seem less functional than the old galley.

It's a shame to see a 53C neglected. To my eye the Hatteras 53C is one of the best looking boats ever.

I do get what rsmith says about the galley down model being less desirable for lots of fishing use.

For the record, I live aboard my boat and the larger galley and salon are better for my purposes.

DAN