Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: white smoke

white smoke

On my last 3 week trip, I noticed white exhaust smoke from my stbd engine, after I ran up the engine to clean it out after running at 1500 rpm for approx 4 hrs. The engines are 653s.

There was no coolant odour, but there was a strong diesel smell.

After 5 minutes or so, the smoke dissipated to practically nil, but there were still traces of the white exhaust. there was no white exhaust at all at low rpm (1500-2000 rpms).

I checked the coolant levels each nite, but there was no coolant loss, other than the loss when I opened up the cap.

Any ideas as to what is causing this smoke?

Regards

md

Re: white smoke

im digging deep into my memory bank and I hope someone will correct me if im wrong, but I recall something about white smoke being unburned fuel and black smoke partially burned fuel.

Blue smoke being oil and orange smoke being real trouble.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

White smoke issues appear more often when the outside temperatures start to cool off. if you have a strong diesel smell, it is most likely caused by fuel ignition delay due to not enough heat in the combustion chamber to ignite the fuel.

What you are seeing are the fuel vapors and aldehydes left from incomplete combustion.
    Blaine
    1992 43C - "Journey"
    Pace, FL

This smoke is coming out of the exhaust after many hours of running at hull speed, with the temp. gauge showing 175+ degrees.

Could this have something to do with injectors or valve timing?

md

Bad injector(s), incorrect timing or a compression problem.

I'd do a tune-up first. If it doesn't clear up try isolating cylinders, or pull the injectors and have them tested.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

A tune-up is definitely on the agenda, but i need to find a good Detroit diesel mechanic in my neck of the woods first. i am in Toronto Ontario anada. By the by, these engines only have approx. 300 hrs on them since a total rebuild, done down in N. Carolina about 3 years ago. This is the first time anything out of the ordinary has occurred.

md

Start here Detroit Diesel 1575 Queensway Toronto.

Try changing fuel filters first. My 6V92s would run clean. When the filters needed changing I'd start to see white smoke.
    Jack Sardina

Agree on filters. I had a Detroit guy tell me "about time for kits" and then another had me change filters and white smoke gone!