Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Davit weight restriction

I have a 63' 1987 MY. Does anyone know how much weight the Davit will handle? I have an appliance delivery scheduled and I was thinking of possibly using the Davit to get the range aboard through the aft deck.

Re: Davit weight restriction

There were several davits used on Hatts. I would ASSume that a 63 would at least have one of the Marquipt 1000 lb units but posting a pic of it would be helpful. In any case I would ASSume that virtually any davit could easily handle a kitchen stove/range. Can't imagine any range fitting on a boat that would weigh more than a couple of hundred pounds at max.

Note that there are several "ASSumes" in the above. Obviously it depends on the davit and its condition. If you routinely haul a dink aboard, it probably weighs more than the stove...Or at least I would ASSume so!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

There isn't a standard davit for these boats. There should be a plate with make, model and capacity. Like Mike said you should be fine with the weight. Bigger question is how do you plan to lift it. You'll need a harness and possibly a spreader bar to evenly distribute the lift. The range is probably packed to be lifted from the bottom not hoisted up.
    Jack Sardina

Not sure how exactly. I was thinking of tying straps around the box like a present and lifting from the top.
    Attached Images

That davit - same as ours - won't even notice the weight of a kitchen stove.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    That davit - same as ours - won't even notice the weight of a kitchen stove.
    Good to hear Mike. Thanks for the response!

Lift a jetski and whaler with the same marquis lift.... mine does not have a grab rail screwed to it. I've always assumed mine had a 1k capacity... the swagging, pulley and axle, cable material and many other factors will impact actual capacity.

Ps, my counter depth Samsung would fit through the aft door, (doors removed), but would not fit through the salon to galley door....close, but wouldn't fit.... the galley window was the only route

That's a 1000 lb Marquipt, assuming the cable and winch are to spec, if it lifts that tender a stove is a piece of cake. The gift box approach should work, the more straps the merrier, just so it doesn't slip out if the load gets unbalanced, and get long enough straps so the don't crush the box when you put strain on them, which is why a spreader device of some type was suggested.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Have Sears deliver it. Two guys can lift or slide it right in. You would think they would complain but they will love seeing the boat. It beats three flights of stairs at an apartment house. Give them a nice tip.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee