Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Naiad stabilizers on a 48' to 55' Hatt Sportfish

Does anyone have any experience with this unit?
    Does it really help control the roll of a vessel while running in a sea or trolling or drift fishing?
    What about at anchor?
    How much does it increase draft and drag on the vessel, if any?
    Is it easy or complicated and costly to install or if already on board, to maintain the system.
    Thanks guys, looking forward to your educated replies.

Re: Naiad stabilizers on a 48' to 55' Hatt Sportfish

I have Naiads on a 1981 48MY. They were sized by a PO (or factory) for planning operation and are very effective. At 8 knots, the fins are a bit small, but still a big improvement. If I really need more dampening, I bump up the speed another knot or so and it makes a big difference. They have no value at anchor. And they do not increase the draft or extend beyond the hull profile.

The only info I have on drag is to compare my speed/rpm with the boat test article on my boat. I would guestimate they cost me .2-.3 knots at 8 knots, but my boat is also much heavier with all the live aboard gear.

Service is required. Naiad says every two years. I have serviced the seals and oil at each bottom job, roughly three year intervals. Naiad says more use of the boat is easier on the seals because critters will not grow as easily in the area. So far it has worked well. I did have to change the seal on the front of the Vickers pump this spring. Best I can tell, it is the first time it had to be done in ?? years. I also changed the small diameter hydraulic hoses a few years ago because they were starting to look old.

This subject has been discussed here in the past. You might do a search.

Bobk

Actually Naiad now has an "at rest" option but it gets up there in $$$. The preferred method for this there days seeks to be the SeaKeeper gyro system.

http://naiad.com/S@A_Flyer.pdf

http://seakeeper.com/
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Thanks a lot for the good info.
    Appreciate it !

I put new Naiad stabilizers on a 53MY 8 years ago and it cost $43K. Best investment in the boat I ever made. Wow! What a difference. Not sure it reduces much on average speed because you don't have to steer for the waves, like quartering larger waves, you just go straight. However, there is a "stabilizer veer" effect which is that in large waves the action of the stabilizer fins turns the boat a little back and forth as it corrects to flatten out roll.

Thanks a lot for the info everyone!