Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Re: The slow restoration of Hatattack (34 Convertible)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Holy hopping snot batman! It looks like somebody installed a household breaker panel for the AC. Scary. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Hatteras used Airpax breakers, even back then.

Re: The fuel tanks. If the deck is coming out, put one big tank in instead of three. Slane makes one that's about 375 gallons, kind of U shaped. In a perfect world that's what I would do. Fuel fills on each side so it doesn't matter which side you dock on, no valves or other stuff to fool with, one gauge to monitor. Easy Peasy.

BTW, if your tanks are in good shape someone out there with diesels may be able to use them.
    Nope same breakers on my boat sq D
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Any progress in the last month?

Going to a mild 496 stroker may be worth looking in to due to the additional torque.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Nope same breakers on my boat sq D
    Yep, same on my 41 that still has the original panel.

As for the gas vs diesel debate, no doubt I'd toss those 7.4's in there and call it good. I'm guessing those engines in a 34C will yield comparable results to the diesel options as well if not better than my 41. Sure, if somebody offered them up, I would love to have a pair of Cummins or Yanmars, but there is no way on God's earth I could justify such a swap based on fuel savings or anything else. I'd much rather have my gassers than the DD option that was available in '65.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Ok the 454's are sitting in my work shop, I am going to go ahead and rebuild the transmissions while I have them on the bench.

Everything thing else is on hold till I can get the previous owner nailed down and get all the documents signed to transfer ownership. The boat will hopefully be moving to her homeport in Pensacola, FL in November, being towed by a classic Uniflite.

Once documents are secured and I have ownership I am going to start really moving ahead on this. I want to have it as a useable project by summer 2016.
    Currently boat shopping

21' Skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Yep, same on my 41 that still has the original panel.

As for the gas vs diesel debate, no doubt I'd toss those 7.4's in there and call it good. I'm guessing those engines in a 34C will yield comparable results to the diesel options as well if not better than my 41. Sure, if somebody offered them up, I would love to have a pair of Cummins or Yanmars, but there is no way on God's earth I could justify such a swap based on fuel savings or anything else. I'd much rather have my gassers than the DD option that was available in '65.
    I had 440's and then new 454's. I can say for sure that it is a much different running boat with Cummins Diesels. I repowered in 98 and they have definitely paid for themselves. That said the use of 454's is owner preference, budget, planned use, and of personal opinion. That trumps all. Having been down this road I am watching progress and wish luck to the owner.

Hatattack, feel free to PM for any info needed as you go. I am no expert but have owned mine since 92. We stripped completely in 96 I remember all as if it was yesterday. You are in deep but picked a fantastic do-all hull which will reward you for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I had 440's and then new 454's. I can say for sure that it is a much different running boat with Cummins Diesels. I repowered in 98 and they have definitely paid for themselves. That said the use of 454's is owner preference, budget, planned use, and of personal opinion. That trumps all. Having been down this road I am watching progress and wish luck to the owner.

Hatattack, feel free to PM for any info needed as you go. I am no expert but have owned mine since 92. We stripped completely in 96 I remember all as if it was yesterday. You are in deep but picked a fantastic do-all hull which will reward you for years to come.
    Paid for themselves as in pleasure of use or an actual return on investment?

Granted, if you use a boat a lot and keep it for 16 years, I can see how it could pay off, but other than that... I'm sure it runs great with the Cummins' though, and if money were no object, I would love to have a pair in my 41. I've not heard of a 41DC with such power, but I would love to compare performance with one, just for the heck of it.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Paid for themselves as in pleasure of use or an actual return on investment?

Granted, if you use a boat a lot and keep it for 16 years, I can see how it could pay off, but other than that... I'm sure it runs great with the Cummins' though, and if money were no object, I would love to have a pair in my 41. I've not heard of a 41DC with such power, but I would love to compare performance with one, just for the heck of it.
    Bird.

The Cummins package will run the 34 at 22-24 kts cruise at 20-24 gph. Wot almost 30 kts.

I know the gassers will burn about 20% more and we t last as long. In the 41 the difference between the engines is greater as the heavier boat works the gassers harder.

A customer had a 36 series 1 with 454s. He was burning almost 40 gph to the offshore fishing ground but when he went to diesel it cut it in half. I think a big part of it was paid for in the first few years. I think his cruise and wot came down a few kts but it almost doubled the range for offshore trips.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Don't forget that diesel is much cheaper at the dock and your insurance will be much lower with diesels.
    Jack Sardina

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but after all, this has become another gas vs diesel thread. I just know what my own numbers show vs what I've seen others post with diesels in either a 41DC/TC or 43. No doubt it all boils down to how many hours per year are put on a boat where the repower dollars turn into "sense". I would have to think the 34C gasser would yield even closer numbers to a diesel counterpart than my 41DC, but maybe not.

Light use would have to work in favor of the gassers in more than one area. Sure, you won't get as many hours out of a 7.4 as you will a Cummins, but factor in the original cost and then the cost to rebuild each when the time comes, and I'm thinking you would have to run A BUNCH to even come close based on fuel costs. Now, if we're talking commercial use where time is money, those few extra knots might factor in as well.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93