Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ice maker help

ice maker help

I have installed a ice maker in my 52c. (eskimo) I was dumpimg the ice into the fish box but one fish and the ice is spoiled. I have made a box or a insert and installed it beside the troling chair. The ice is going in the new box well and stays clean. Here is the issur the ice is melting FAST i need to insulate the new box it is about 2.5 feet squar and about 3 feet tall give a little or take a little. I need some thin insulating material to attach to the outside of the box and allow me to take the box out for maintance material less than a 1/4 thick. As you all know the exaust muffler is in the same area kinda warm down there. ANY IDEARS GUYS FOAM OUT OF THE QUESTION TO BULKY. i BELIVE I NEED SOMTHING I CAN GLUE OR SCREW TO THE BOX
    TIM
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-02-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Re: ice maker help

Tim: I have a similar situation with my install. A HVAC buddy of mine suggested the major issue was more than likely getting the lids to seal rather than box insulation. Used some foam tape to seal where lids join deck, seems to help. Brett

Do you have a transom well? Mine goes there and stays frozen. I also have it plumbed to the in deck boxes. I don't fish the boat but the previous owner said it worked well.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Do you have a transom well? Mine goes there and stays frozen. I also have it plumbed to the in deck boxes. I don't fish the boat but the previous owner said it worked well.
    Jack & Britt I put new gaskets on the deck lid. I also looked at what you are doing Jack the unit only allows for one cut off. It will push ice about 60 feet so there is no way to equally distribute the ice i am good as it is as i have a second unit in the salon a u line. I use the eskimo for drinks and for fish ice. I made the box out of fiberglass and gellcoated it looks good just no insulation factors besize the glass itself.

If you think this is a box insulation issue, I think I would try a couple of cheap ideas to see if you are on the right track.
    The installation might be a bit messy or tricky but I'd try wrapping the box with something like this to see if I am headed in the right direction.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe you could hang it with duct tape while a silicone bead sets up. At least you will know if the muffler is the source of the issue since you can block it. Have a look at things like this from Lowes or HD. We use it under the salon visor shield and it drops the temperature 15-20 degrees.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 09-03-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    If you think this is a box insulation issue, I think I would try a couple of cheap ideas to see if you are on the right track.
    The installation might be a bit messy or tricky but I'd try wrapping the box with something like this to see if I am headed in the right direction.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe you could hang it with duct tape while a silicone bead sets up. At least you will know if the muffler is the source of the issue since you can block it. Have a look at things like this from Lowes or HD. We use it under the salon visor shield and it drops the temperature 15-20 degrees.
    Just ordered a roll thanks wont hurt to give it try. Looks like what the dock ordered

Tim the Marlin Man ---- I had a guy down here insulate the inside & bottom of my fish box. The resulting inside dimensions are noticeably smaller but still large enough for wahoo/tuna/mahi, unit is heavier but still manageable to lift out and most important it keeps ice for a much longer period of time than before. I do not have the eskimo but dump bags from the cockpit freezer when necessary. We usually bleed & clean shortly after capture so as not to let meat stay in afresh water very long. Will take some photos and send your way soon.