Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Talking Making a Flybridge Hardtop

For anyone interested in making their own hardtop you see can my effort at
    http://groups.msn.com/TrawlerMV/lazydays.msnw, photo # 1 (distant view) and #3, a close up. I used four sheets of 7/32" thick marine plywood because I needed 4 x 10ft pieces (that was all I could find) and reused the stainless steel framework. I would have preferred 3/8" thick plywood. I criss crossed them (one layer lengthwise, seond layer awthships) and bent to the shape of the old stainless soft top framework, which I erected in my garage, then glued the plywood together with epoxy. I edged with 1" x 3" which looked heavy inside...1" by 4" might be preferable. Weight is maybe 125 lbs, including about six gallons of resin over cloth on the exterior, just resin inside. Coring instead of plywood would be an alternative, but I have never used it and the plywood was easy to form to the softtop frame shape. I braced the frame awthships with 45 degree additional pieces. Size is about 9.5ft x 9.5ft to match the softcover side enclosure.
    I made my own 2ft x 2ft hatches as pictured. Stainless steel pipe clamps bolted thru the roof fasten the fiberglassed top to the frame underneath. Had the old soft side enclosure refit to the new top with aluminum slotted to the roof along the undersidde edges. Cost maybe $1100, about $400 more than a new softtop. Lots of labor, about 10 days including 1 day trucking to my boat and installation that evening (in drizzle of course).
    It held just fine in a 75 mph squall. It will support my weight but requires spreading of weight by laying down to be safe. Just great not to be be dripped upon in bad weather.
    (I could not figure out how to post photos here, mine are too big.)

2. Re: Making a Flybridge Hardtop

I like it a LOT!

Toying with that for mine, as the canvas one needs to be redone.....

Re: Making a Flybridge Hardtop

Good job!

I noticed you have a RADAR arch in addition to the hardtop. Is there any particular reason for that? I have an arch with my softtop and was thinking if I ever switch to hardtop I could get rid of the arch.

Sounded kinda funky in your written description...then I looked at your photos-wow! Looks fantastic!! Very clever design, beautifully executed.

Great Job! Plan on doing the same when my sunbrella gives out. How did you make a 9.5' square top with only 4 sheets of 4' x 10' plywood? How many layers of glass did you use? I plan on using dynel cloth and polyester resin. Probably do both sides. Since yours turned so well I will copy your desighn to the tee, if you don't mind. I'm making my own curtains this winter using the old ones for patterns. I bought an old Singer sewing machine for $80. I practiced by making seat cover and helm cover this summer. Don't know how it will turn out but surely can't afford the prices thrown around here. Ron

6. Re: Making a Flybridge Hardtop

The radar arch was added by me before I even thought about the hard top. It could have been removed if desired. The aft of the new hardtop is fastened to the radararch via heavy SS self tapping screws, so it made a fast, easy, very steady aft fastening.
    Good question on 4 x 10 sheets; they are REALLY 5 x 10. But 5 sheets of 4 x 10 would also work. Also, when affixing the hardtop, I temporarily placed some 6ft long 1" 1 x 2 (with duct tape padding on the ends) vertically from the roof to hold the hardtop in place and assure a matching hardtop profile for looks.
    The only critical size measure was getting the hardtop just inside the radar arch. I had planned it 1/8" narrow on each side, but it fit so tight no spacer washers were required. When making the final attachment of the old stainless steel support framework to the new hardtop, , I had to slightly adjust the framework....it as it was never aligned propely..which I never noticed..