Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question about portholes

We have two new neighbors, a 75 ft Hatteras and an 80 ft Hatteras. One is late 90s and the other is 2001. I have been on the 2001 and noticed that the only portholes are in the master stateroom. Also the portholes do not open. If you are down below there is no way out other than the stairs. I thought there was some type of code or standard regarding this. I looked at the other boat and it looks similar from the outside.

Is this standard for these size yachts to not have more than one way out?

Re: Question about portholes

Good question - where is the fire escape? I recall a large, modern yacht that caught fire at Miami Beach Marina while back and the firemen had to cut a hole in the side of the boat to get the two people out who were in a stateroom below. I would not want a boat like that. I have fire escapes for below deck, both fore and aft. I like that.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Yeah, the first thing my wife noticed in the staterooms was that there were no windows other than the master. There are five staterooms on both boats and she said she felt too closed in. The only thought I had was how do you get out in an emergency.

The portholes in the master were large enough to crawl thru but I am fairly certain they could not be opened other than kicking them out in an emergency. I saw no hinges or latches.

I ve noticed that as well and don't get it... I woudl hate to be in a stateroom without seing what's happening outside especially when anchoring out.

I think buyers don't get it either judging by how new few hatteras MY you see out there compared to other brands.

As much as I don't care for those big windows on the hull sides that have become so popular, at least put in some portholes !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On the big newer Hatts I've seen one set of the port lights is openable. The forward SR escape is the overhead hatch. There is actually an AYBC or CG requirement somewhere about this. I think one thing that led to fewer port lights was the desire for fewer leaks.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014