Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Retaurants in Newport News?

We will be driving through Newport News later this week, visiting the maritime museum. I'm looking for recommendations on where to go in the area for really good crab cakes. Any suggestions?
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Retaurants in Newport News?

I don't know of anything there. You might find something in the harbor area in Hampton. Anyone more local that can give suggestions?

I've heard Chicks Oyster Bar in Virginia Beach is good, but never been there.

We need Fred (Finalee) to sign on. He lives in Newport News.

You will not be disappointed with that museum.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I used to deliver a clients boat every year to a Marina called York River Yacht Haven. It's just across the York River from Newport News off US17 on Sarah Creek in Gloucester Point. The Restaurant in the Marina I Believe was called "Rivers Inn Restaurant and Crab Deck" There was always a good Buzz of people in and out and the food was excellent. Now keep in mind that was 10 years ago since I've been there, but in the past it was always a nice quiet and clean little marina. Maybe worth looking in to. Hope this helps a bit.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    I used to deliver a clients boat every year to a Marina called York River Yacht Haven. It's just across the York River from Newport News off US17 on Sarah Creek in Gloucester Point. The Restaurant in the Marina I Believe was called "Rivers Inn Restaurant and Crab Deck" There was always a good Buzz of people in and out and the food was excellent. Now keep in mind that was 10 years ago since I've been there, but in the past it was always a nice quiet and clean little marina. Maybe worth looking in to. Hope this helps a bit.
    This marina went bankrupt some time ago and was recently purchased by Suntex. I frequented the restaurant and crab deck before, but haven't been there under the new owners/management. It's now called the York River Oyster Company.

When I brought my boat back from wintering in Wilmington NC this past April , I stopped at a friends marina in virginia beach. They had the best crab cakes!
    "One fish two fish "on the water at long bay point marina.

This is a must stop at restuarant!
    Like Coinjock for prime rib

Bon appetite

Just in case you haven't heard about the horrible state of the blue crab fishery in the Chesapeake:

"Recent Chesapeake Bay blue crab
    population figures show crabs are at
    the same low levels as in 2008 when
    the federal government declared the
    situation a “commercial fishery failure.”
    According to the latest blue crab
    winter dredge survey, the total crab
    population is among the lowest levels
    since 1990, and the number of mature
    female crabs fell one million short of
    the “bare minimum” scientists say
    is needed to sustain the population.
    This prompted the Virginia Marine
    Resources Commission (VMRC) in
    June to cut the harvest limit of commercial
    crabbers by 10%."

Try the "Crab Shack" it is located on the Newport News side of the James River Bridge. Quaint place that is on the end of the now James River fishing pier. Another good place is in Hampton, about
    10 minutes from the Mariner's Museum. Its located next to Blue Water Marina at 1 Marina Lane.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by fissioneng View Post
    This marina went bankrupt some time ago and was recently purchased by Suntex. I frequented the restaurant and crab deck before, but haven't been there under the new owners/management. It's now called the York River Oyster Company.
    Thanks now I know, that's why I mentioned it's been awhile since I've been there. I remember it being a nice place. Hopefully the new owner only improved on what was nice place.

Tony

Thanks to everyone who responded. We'll try one of the places Fred recommended tomorrow evening and give a report.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY