Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spiders

Spiders

Anyone have ideas how to get rid spiders on boat have big issue with them wife is not too happy
    any ideas would be appreciated tks john

Re: Spiders

Bug Bomb.

Boats are nice since they are smallish and enclose nicely. Make sure you get one that kills spiders (not all do).

http://www.raidkillsbugs.com/en-us/p...p-reach-fogger

Can also place a few pheromone traps for maintenance:

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M256-Po...heromone+traps

DAN

Hey…I'm surprised! Don't you remember from high school biology that spiders are our friends and they eliminate a lot of annoying/harmful insects?

Yeah, I don't give a crap about that either…I kill 'em all.

(per what Dan said)
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

My experience with spiders in central Florida is that a bug bomb won't work with them. You have to squirt the poison directly on them. Apparently they don't clean their bodies (as cats do) like other insects so they don't ingest traces of poison. I found it great sport to get up early and have target practice with the squirt bottle and shoot them while they were still out on their webs.

I'm generally okay with bugs that don't bite or sting me. The admiral doesn't understand, but I tell her they outnumber us by the millions and when they rise up I hope they'll remember the people who trapped them in a jar and moved them outside instead of just squishing them. And if you want your ear chewed off ask me about how great dragonflies are.

But if you're going that route, Brakeleen in the red can is like napalm on insects. Just be careful because it's rough on plastics if you don't get it off in a hurry. If you want to improve your marksmanship use the straw that comes with the can.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

This is the best stuff that I have found. http://www.terro.com/store/spiders?g...6FIRoCrcbw_wcB Spray pilings and lines, and direct spray the visible critters aboard. I buy it at Lowe's.

The bug killer no-pest "strips" reportedly do well when the boat is closed up and not occupied.

YMMV.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Walk around your boat at dusk. Flashlight in one hand and bug bomb in the other. The spiders will be working the dock lines and under your gunnels. Dusk is when they rule. Have fun.

You must be in fresh water.

Ortho home defense. Available just about everywhere. It's cheap. It works.
    ej

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Hey…I'm surprised! Don't you remember from high school biology that spiders are our friends and they eliminate a lot of annoying/harmful insects?

Yeah, I don't give a crap about that either…I kill 'em all.

(per what Dan said)
    Yeah, they eat other bugs. And then crap them out etc. No thanks. Even civilizations that LIKE to eat bugs don't eat spiders.

In Tennessee we have covered docks and more nooks and crannies to deal with. I bought a commercial mosquito sprayer. It's like a leaf blower with a venturi nozzle and a tank. I think you guys in Florida see them around quite a bit. I buy a 38% permetherin mix and dilute it with water to between 3 and 5%. This machine mists out the chemical out to about 20ft. This let's me fog into the dock fingers, rope lines, sunbrella, and anywhere else I deem fit. It has not eliminated the spiders but it had significantly reduced the population.