Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras 54-58 Motor Yacht 24 volt system vs 32 volt system

I am looking for a 54-56 Hatteras Motor Yacht that is a 24 volt vs 32 volt system anyone have anyone that has

Steve

Re: Hatteras 54-58 Motor Yacht 24 volt system vs 32 volt system

Why would you not consider a 32v boat?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have had several conversations regarding 24 vs 32 that have directed me to stay away based on the ability to find replacement parts and other issues 24 vs 32 . Also has we move forward it will become even harder because they do not make boats with that voltage anymore

I agree the 24V system would be preferable but I wouldn't base my choice of boats on that alone.
    Jack Sardina

I own a 32v boat and have never, ever, had a problem finding any part that I need for the boat. I think all of that talk is nonsense. All fan motors, bilge pumps, bulbs, etc are readily available.

Don't miss out on a great boat just because it has a 32v system.

If you are worried about parts, which ones? I'm sure this forum, along with Sams Marine, will help you find what you need.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Called Sam's Marine and Steve suggested that parts are becoming harder to find and that the blower motors are no longer available no one makes them and he does not have any and cannot find any. He stated that it would be this way for other parts as well as we go forward.

Steve

I still wouldn't let that stop you from owning a boat you really like. It shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by stevep5050 View Post
    Called Sam's Marine and Steve suggested that parts are becoming harder to find and that the blower motors are no longer available no one makes them and he does not have any and cannot find any. He stated that it would be this way for other parts as well as we go forward.

Steve
    Dude, Depco pump has all the 32v blowers you want.... And with a $20 buck resistor, you can run 12v or 24v "stuff" in a 32v system....heck, most of the OEM gauge stuff in the 32v Hatteras IS 12v already... I've had no second thoughts or issues with the 32v system. A lot of new Solar powered systems are 32v..

Steve,

I shared your concerns about 32V, but thought sooner or later I would upgrade to 24V and went with it anyway.

I have since learned converting the starters and alternators is no big deal (simple rewind at a shop) and/or some may already be running 24V equipment on the engines.

The toilets were already 12V, and the winch needs service and will switch over at that point. Much of the electronics already is running off of the Newmar DC-DC converters, so that will be a simple jump around. I have all LED bulbs throughout and they simply don't care since there is a built-in regulator.

My point is, the 32V is really workable already, and a gentle transition when and if you want to change over.

As was said, the boat itself should drive your decision--and these are great boats!

DAN

Steve, I was faced with a similar decision when shopping for a Long Range Cruiser. The 42 and 48 LRC are 12 volt. The 58 and 65 are 32 volt. I went for the 48 versus the 58 with the 32 volt issue being a big consideration.

As for your 24 versus 32 volt decision, I believe there is a significant consideration that has not been addressed. To get the same power (watts) to any piece of equiptment you need to provide 33% more current (amps). The wire gauge installed for a 32 volt system is likely smaller than required by a 24 volt system with an acceptable voltage drop under load. Also, circuit breakers and fuses will likely be undersized.

Pete