Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Runaway Runabout Mates With My Hatteras

Rode down to the marina in my newly acquired go-fast boat only to find some idiot had tied his runabout parallel to the stern of his houseboat in the slip next to mine. We're talking about a totally exposed dockage here that takes the full brunt of storms and wakes of other idiots who don't understand the meaning of "NO WAKE". Apparently they don't make ski rope like they used to, and his boat broke away during a strong storm Sunday evening and took refuge against my starboard bow. Luckily it found its way back out again and ended up in the back of the cove where the marina is located. Marina personnel towed the boat from whence it came and contacted the owner.

They gave me the owner's name and phone number after I pointed out my damage. Seems the guy had already contacted his insurance company about damage to his boat, but he apparently didn't see the damage to mine. I called and left a message for his adjuster, and when the guy called me back, he informed me that this was an act of God, and that I would have to file a claim under my own insurance. I don't think so, bubba. God didn't tie that boat up with ski rope, your idiot insured did.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get into with our respective insurance companies, but my primary concern is having the boat properly repaired. I'm just not sure what to expect in terms of a paint match that won't leave me looking with a patch job that sticks out like a proverbial sore thumb. Oh the joys of sharing the waterways with people who haven't a clue.

Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Runaway Runabout Mates With My Hatteras

His insurance company is not going to want to pay out. The act of God BS is a ploy. Did you get a police report? That's the first thing I would do. Then either an attorney or your insurance company can go after him. Repainting is probably in your near future. It's hard to match older paint.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

3. Re: Runaway Runabout Mates With My Hatteras

I thought mismatched paint was the "in thing" in Tennysea?
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    His insurance company is not going to want to pay out. The act of God BS is a ploy. Did you get a police report? That's the first thing I would do. Then either an attorney or your insurance company can go after him. Repainting is probably in your near future. It's hard to match older paint.
    I have 10 days to file a report with the TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) which is required if the damage exceeds $2,000. I'm not sure if that applies to damage of this type or not since neither vessel was underway.

Worst case scenario, I turn in a claim to my insurance company (State Farm) and let them go after his insurance company (Farm Bureau... yeehaw!!!). Then I guess I would have to go after the runaboutdaddy and sue him for my deductible and anything else I or my attorney can think of. I just hope he and/or his insurance company mans up and does the right thing. This guy won't be very welcome as a newbe on our dock if he doesn't. It amazes me how people won't own up to their screwups and make things right.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Don't waste your time turning anything into Farm Bureau. They are clueless when it comes to marine liability. File it with you insurance policy and let them deal with Farm Bureau.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    Don't waste your time turning anything into Farm Bureau. They are clueless when it comes to marine liability. File it with you insurance policy and let them deal with Farm Bureau.
    Yeah, I got the impression that adjuster didn't know his stern from a hole in the ground. Claimed his insured told him that his boat pulled the cleats off the dock. It wasn't even tied to the dock!! Then he mentioned that he himself uses ski rope to tie up his bass boat. I'm sure he has a concrete block anchor too.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Act of God, my ass...that's like backing into a slip and hitting the boat next to you and then saying it was breezy, or there was a current, which caused the collision. If you end up having to fight for this, you likely won't end up being made whole again. The insurance company (yours or his) isn't likely to repaint your whole boat willingly and if you have to sue him to get the job done, then you have to pay a lawyer (unless you got a lawyer buddy). Sadly, there are no winners.
    Last edited by Angela; 07-29-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Act of God, my ass...that's like backing into a slip and hitting the boat next to you and then saying it was breezy, or there was a current, which caused the collision. If you end up having to fight for this, you likely won't end up being made whole again. The insurance company (yours or his) isn't likely to repaint your whole boat willingly and if you have to sue him to get the job done, then you have to pay a lawyer (unless you got a lawyer buddy). Sadly, there are no winners.
    Good insurance will pay to repaint the entire hull if you can't get a good match.
    Jack Sardina

Ang, I laughed when that guy said it was an act of God. I told him we weren't talking about a tornado that dropped his guy's boat on top of mine, we were talking gross negligence that lead to damage of my boat.

I did have an incident years ago where some kids vandalized my company's delivery truck with a bunch of stupid graffiti. They also cut my very worn, bias ply tires. State Farm paid to have the entire truck painted and bought me a brand new set of radials. I guess we'll see if they're as good a neighbor with the boat as they were with the truck. At least in this case, they can go after the owner's insurance. In the case of that vandalism, these were underage kids. They actually went after the parents, and I refused to help them in that endeavor. Long story, but I had a VERY good reason.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Good insurance will pay to repaint the entire hull if you can't get a good match.
    Jack, I hope you're right. I'm not looking to come out ahead on this deal, but I'll be damned if I'll sit still for coming out behind.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93