Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Head Odor

Re: Head Odor

And for God's sake don't put in that "odorsafe" hose. It is junk. I just replaced the 6 yr old Odorsafe with the Shields original stuff. When I took out the original 1979 hose it wasn't because it smelled. It had just calcified to the point that I couldn't flush thru it any more. Within 3 years I could smell the sewage thru the Odorsafe stuff.

Never again.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I agree on the Shields Odor-something being junk. Mine didn't last long at all before it stunk horribly. I took all that out and put in Trident Sanitation hose, where I needed hose, the one that's like exhaust hose with the helical wire running through it. It's commonly sold in black with a green stripe, but if you look hard enough, you can find it in white. No smell at all with that stuff. The OEM hose I found on my 1980 boat had no labels or stripes. It was just reinforced exhaust hose, or something like it, that I could not distinguish the difference. Someone, maybe SAM, once told me that Hatteras did use exhaust hose in the sanitation lines. The original hoses lasted 28 to 30 years on mine.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

"The original hoses lasted 28 to 30 years on mine."

As did ours, the only reason I changed it was because it seemed like it should be done, NOT because there was a problem. I installed the white stuff recommended by Peggy somebody or other who was allegedly the "queen of crap" for some company. She was not the queen of cr@p, she was the Baroness of Bull$h1t" and her recommended hose lasted less than two years.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    "The original hoses lasted 28 to 30 years on mine."

As did ours, the only reason I changed it was because it seemed like it should be done, NOT because there was a problem. I installed the white stuff recommended by Peggy somebody or other who was allegedly the "queen of crap" for some company. She was not the queen of cr@p, she was the Baroness of Bull$h1t" and her recommended hose lasted less than two years.
    Yup - same story as me. She was all over the Boatered site pushing that stuff about 15 years ago. People thought she was the guru of gowno.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I am so glad you guys posted the feedback.

I was about to replace mine and based my choice upon her advice--THANKS!

DAN

Here's what I used: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...583&id=1845631

They gave me a break on the price because I bought a full 50' spool.

I used the Trident before also with good results, but my original hose is still odor-free after 37 years. Amazing. The only problem with the Trident is that it is so heavy it does not like to bend or flex. Pulling it through tight holes in the bulkheads would be a bear.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post

Yep, that's the good stuff!! I've done a lot of head and sanitation system work on my boat - refurbished all four GM heads and pumps (some more than once), then removed all those and installed 4 Vacuflush, re-hosed the boat's entire sanitation system (every stinkin' inch of it, some parts more than once!), and even rebuilt the guts of my largest holding tank. That Trident hose is the only hose I will ever use again, unless and until they quit manufacturing it.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post

Okay. Thats the stuff I used. Its been good for 9 years now.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI