Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Why the middle class are getting out of boating

When the person that's in that White House was running for the Office.....He said if elected He would make gas cost so much it would force everyone to use an alternative or raise the fuel economy MPG (for cars). He projected 6-8 dollars a gallon, then 6+ years ago.
    I'm still considered "Middle Class" I guess, because almost everyone in NYC that I work with, meet, etc. can barely afford housing.......having a boat (ok,ok, a Yacht) is absurd today for the vast majority. And, unfortunately as the divide of "the haves" and the "have not's" widen/deepen so will boat sales drop like a rock into that divide.....not to mention the animosity / social impact it creates.

My 58YF may end up being a really big Bugout Boat ( for all of those out there waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse).
    Last edited by ralexa6808; 07-27-2014 at 08:19 PM.

I can't even go here.........I was born poor in south west Detroit, I will die poor in South West Florida......

The middle is just a short trip........

Sad to think about how much $$ many (like myself) have tied up in offshore gear that is just sitting in a closet somewhere because it cost so much to get to the fishing grounds. We moved our boat to a more family-friendly marina down the coast and use it as a condo. Now, I'm teaching myself how to bottom-fish and building gear for grouper etc. so we can use our little sputter boat on good days to scoot out and still fish.

I lost steering yesterday. The servo for the power steering went. I think it can be repaired but called SAMs to see what a new one would be and what my options are. When he called back his response was, I'm going to say this as easy as I can but the cost of the replacement unit is $3112. I can get a repair kit for $50 and Steve is checking out other options. I figured $1000=$1500 would be more like it and still at least double what it should be. This is not much different than a hydraulic steering ram.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I lost steering yesterday. The servo for the power steering went. I think it can be repaired but called SAMs to see what a new one would be and what my options are. When he called back his response was, I'm going to say this as easy as I can but the cost of the replacement unit is $3112. I can get a repair kit for $50 and Steve is checking out other options. I figured $1000=$1500 would be more like it and still at least double what it should be. This is not much different than a hydraulic steering ram.
    Do you have power steering? Thats the cost. I think the unit in the aft compartment is what your referring to. Is it a power assisit system.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Do you have power steering? Thats the cost. I think the unit in the aft compartment is what your referring to. Is it a power assisit system.
    Yes it's power steering and yes it's the unit on the rudder table. Ill most repair it as it seems to be a bad seal
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Yes it's power steering and yes it's the unit on the rudder table. Ill most repair it as it seems to be a bad seal
    That's probably all it needs. I've never seen one that needed to be replaced. What shape are the lines in? We replaced a few of the lines on a sister ship to yours and it's not easy to get to all the lines and fittings.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Over the last couple of years, I have seen many of the people in our marina upsizing. Is this a sign of a better economy or just some opportunists taking advantage of some really good deals on used boats? It's hard to tell.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    That's probably all it needs. I've never seen one that needed to be replaced. What shape are the lines in? We replaced a few of the lines on a sister ship to yours and it's not easy to get to all the lines and fittings.
    All new lines from the ER back. Did that 2 years ago
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Over the last couple of years, I have seen many of the people in our marina upsizing. Is this a sign of a better economy or just some opportunists taking advantage of some really good deals on used boats? It's hard to tell.
    My business has perked up quite a bit too. I think people are realizing they can get more money,
    but can not get more time.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"