Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Why the middle class are getting out of boating

I spent 4 hours today trying to get parts for customers.
    First item is a stern thruster control that times out too soon. The combo joystick is 585.00 and no you can not just buy a replacement switch
    Next is the ACR spotlight. The upper point pad went beserk. No you can't buy the point pad as the current control is not compatable. You need the master controller and two pointpads @ 700.00
    Or as was suggested just use the one station.
    Then there is the small oil filter on a new Kohler gen that was 60.00 from Kohler. I found a cross reference that is less than 6.00.

I am all for making a profit but this is insanity.

Re: Why the middle class are getting out of boating

+1... Amen, preach on brother! We've become an R & R society, not sub components, but the entire unit. Gets expensive.

This is not just happening in the marine industry. I see it all of the time with construction equipment. I just bought a new seat for a haul truck for $2000. And one rubber isolation body mount was $500 for a block of rubber with a bolt through it. Everybody is jacking up parts prices since they are selling less new equipment.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Don't worry about it too much, we have been busy getting rid of the middle class for the last 14 years or so, so we really don't have to worry about them getting in or out of boating.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Purchased a set (2) teaser reels $700-00 each one of the rollup handle came off and of course in about 1000 feet of water it is a two part thing ordered from the maker about 90 miles from my house. Nothing fancy just a plastic part 180.00 of course freight and handling includede. a friend!!! I thought. No need to mention maker but from Greensborrow and a well known company... Hope he doed not read this.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 07-24-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Dealers do have to mark up parts and sometimes I see what seems like abuse but after seeing a cheap oil filter take out an engine I have no problem putting a fleet guard filter on my truck for 2 or 3 x the price of the discount one.

For the electronics I see many items not fixed because it's too expensive to have a technician go over them and fix them. Would you pay $300 to fix the $500 control?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

[QUOTE=Boatsb;252827]Dealers do have to mark up parts and sometimes I see what seems like abuse but after seeing a cheap oil filter take out an engine I have no problem putting a fleet guard filter on my truck for 2 or 3 x the price of the discount one.

For the electronics I see many items not fixed because it's too expensive to have a technician go over them and fix them. Would you pay $300 to fix the $500 control?[/QUOT

I think you just like play devils advocate. In the case of the switch it is a low amperage switch with a timer it is not worth the 585.00 to start with. It would not take more than a half hour to change out. They make GPS's that have a touch screen and can direct you anywhere. I paid 176.00 for my wifes Garmin.
    How can anyone justify the cost of a plastic switch?

Engines ruined by a filter? Do tell. The only time I have seen that is if one was rusty and blew or they were too loose or someone left the old gasket on.

If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy paying 60.00 for a 2 inch wide and 2 1/2 oil filter that comes in a Kohler box, more power to you. I am sure that Kohler makes the filters on site to strict standards. Funny the filter on the generator that came from factory had a Japanese filter that I crossreferenced. OMG!!! Kohler used a non Kohler filter and painted white over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Dealers do have to mark up parts and sometimes I see what seems like abuse but after seeing a cheap oil filter take out an engine I have no problem putting a fleet guard filter on my truck for 2 or 3 x the price of the discount one.

For the electronics I see many items not fixed because it's too expensive to have a technician go over them and fix them. Would you pay $300 to fix the $500 control?
    I absolutely have no problem with profit thats what makes the world go round and round but just plane getting the stiff rod. I have a real problew with especially when someone in need. I realize there is a distribution meathod which is comming obsolite little by little. Therer are still companies that protect distributory but do not push them hard you will be purchasing at list from the man what made it. It is called profit. OR GREED

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Don't worry about it too much, we have been busy getting rid of the middle class for the last 14 years or so, so we really don't have to worry about them getting in or out of boating.
    And with that, the tax base that fuels our government, which is out of control.

With a reduction in demand for parts over all due to a sour economy and a HUGE increase in fuel costs, boats are now a specialty with low quantity manufacturing keeping prices high.

There is a reason the smallest new Hatteras you can get is a 60 footer. No one can afford the smaller models so the volume is low keeping prices ridiculous. Only the folks with very deep pockets can afford to play any more.

Why is it the marinas on Long Island NY can get away with 5 or 6 bucks a foot to dock?
    Regards
    Dan

iT IS cost money and a lot of it. I am in Hatteras NC kites every where you know the ones attached to a wake board and the kind that you ride. It has gotten so popular a guy built a 3 story hotel and feeds and sleeps people he is teaching of course a sales office that suited you up. The whole mess goes for about 2 gram and you can have fun on any watter. Botton line for a tank load of fuel one time you in business ...on the water with the familt BUT IT DARN SURER AINT THE SAME BUT CHEAP