Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Jeez - another multimeter bites the dust...

OK, I admit up front that I'm hard on multimeters but I seem to go through them at ridiculous rates. It's been that way every since I was a teen (with one exception which I'll mention shortly). Three different ones have been in residence on our 53MY in the 10 years we have owned it.

I don't think I have ever had a MM last more than around 3 years. I tried the high-dollar Fluke about 10 years ago and it didn't do any better than the 3 year old (and just failed today) Radio Shack top of the line (!) DMM. Today I was working on a circuit and the meter suddenly quit registering meaningful information, with the screen shifting constantly between various non-sensical readings. NO..it's not bad batteries - never has been in any of the previous failures and still isn't. So another DMM was pitched into the trash can and I dragged out...

an old 1959 Heathkit VTVM that I use for working on tube (valves for you Britts) equipment. Yep, 55 years old and working fine...But since it requires 120vac to operate, it's not as convenient to use as a DMM except for bench work - which is what I primarily use it for.

SO… does anyone have a suggestion for my next DMM? I'd like to have one work for at least 5 years!

Otherwise it just makes more sense to buy the 20 buck DMMs and replace them every year!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Jeez - another multimeter bites the dust...

I've had pretty good luck with the cheapo Klein and Consumers Electric ones like they sell at Home Depot.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I've had pretty good luck with the cheapo Klein and Consumers Electric ones like they sell at Home Depot.
    X2
    Bobk

I have a bunch of Flukes I use for work and at home. The work ones are used regularly and some are older than my boat. Never had one fail in the 30+ years I've been using them.
    Jack Sardina

I've had real good luck with Fluke meters. Maybe a higher-end Fluke?

Or, maybe you need a small portable genset to run your old meter.

I have used my present fluke meter for work every day for 29 years and still working. If you have trouble with one, send it to them and they will repair, it will look and work like new. I did that once.

I misplace them long before they ever fail. Never had one not work.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Harbor freight usually has coupons for free ones. I know I know you get what you pay for, but if it's free? I'm usually just checking voltage or resistance at times. So for basic troubleshooting they work. I imagine you are doing more detailed work, buy it might be worth keeping one around as a backup.

I bought this NewMar "ESA" seven years ago and have used and abused the heck out of it ever since. Definitely one of the most valuable tools on the boat. It is made and sold by another company, under another brand, NewMar merely slaps their brand and seal of approval on it. One of the few that does AC amp readings in addition to everything else. I'll see if I can remember the name of the other brand as it is much cheaper that way and the same thing. I liked it not just because it was rugged and versatile, but quite compact.

http://www.newmarpower.com/Test_Equi...Equipment.html

Based on prior experience with Fluke gear, Mike I think your issue was indeed a Fluke and you should have sent it in to them. They just didn't have anything I could find at the time that matched the Newmar's attributes I liked. I am not sure NewMar still sells these anyway.

Edit: Looks exactly like an Extech model with different colors. Don't recall it being that pricey though. But this one is 400 vs 200 amp.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ex...ers/380940.htm

Edit2: Ok here it is under the CEM brand for a lot less, I think I paid almost 200 pretty pricey I know, but it's one of best buddies now and I trusted the Newmar brand.

http://www.amazon.com/CEM-Digital-Cl...6238024&sr=1-5
    Last edited by GJH; 07-24-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    I bought this NewMar "ESA" seven years ago and have used and abused the heck out of it ever since. Definitely one of the most valuable tools on the boat. It is made and sold by another company, under another brand, NewMar merely slaps their brand and seal of approval on it. One of the few that does AC amp readings in addition to everything else. I'll see if I can remember the name of the other brand as it is much cheaper that way and the same thing. I liked it not just because it was rugged and versatile, but quite compact.

http://www.newmarpower.com/Test_Equi...Equipment.html

Based on prior experience with Fluke gear, Mike I think your issue was indeed a Fluke and you should have sent it in to them. They just didn't have anything I could find at the time that matched the Newmar's attributes I liked. I am not sure NewMar still sells these anyway.

Edit: Looks exactly like an Extech model with different colors. Don't recall it being that pricey though. But this one is 400 vs 200 amp.
    gEORGE

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ex...ers/380940.htm

Edit2: Ok here it is under the CEM brand for a lot less, I think I paid almost 200 pretty pricey I know, but it's one of best buddies now and I trusted the Newmar brand.

http://www.amazon.com/CEM-Digital-Cl...6238024&sr=1-5
    George
    Got two icoms 1 modle 604-A and a another icom not sure the number but they both are about 6 months old yes they are under warenty but they are also deep in the radio box, Any way one is putting out 19 watts and the other putting out about 12 wats when they are on high power. They both are getting 13.7 volts eaven when the mike is depressed. Very strang that its both of them QUESTION are they suppose to show 25 whatts as high power,
    I am in Hatteras there is not much here to check with but the guys say i am week. Antena ch
    ecks good LOOKING A COUNTRY BOY FIX
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 07-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.