Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Jeez - another multimeter bites the dust...

This is probably a dumb question Mike but you're not blowing the fuse in the fluke are you? I'm told my fluke has a 10 amp fuse in it (though I've not pulled it apart to look). I guess a bad fuse would blow the entire display out wouldn't it? Just my pre-coffee thinking...

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

No, unfortunately, it's not the fuse.

In the latest MM failure it just started flashing through various jumbled display data that had nothing to do with what I was measuring. For example, when measuring voltage - ac or dc - it would just randomly throw up different readings. For resistance it would show totally inaccurate readings. When the circuit tester was activated - a "beep" for good circuit - it would beep in a stuttering fashion, whether the leads were touched to each other or not.

I concluded that, as we used to say in the engine building business, "That sucker's broke!"
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

This thread is starting to get me turned on: Fluke, NewMar, Hickok (whoa!), CE's, Radio Shack (they seem to be degrading), et al. I haven't heard a mention of GardnerBender. Local Ace carries good stuff and has those of which I have one, which is quite decent. I also have Fluke for reading circuit states, but only reads to single volts. I also have a couple 120v sensors that signal/sound out, if voltage is present, Handy for behind wall 120v wire runs; plus I have a plug-it-in polarity checker.

Sears/Lowes/Home Depot venues have been known carry the high brands, but their buyers have now lowered the grade of those brands, or have dropped them altogether. I just had an antique Radio Shack fail, which had a large face swinging needle, old fashioned D'arsonval you might say.

At any rate, interesting thread, since there are serious pro's on this site using those VOM's; me I am a casual user, i.e. as needed.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 07-26-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

did the battery in the Fluke meter go bad? they do act funny when the battery's dying.

Thought I'd update…

I decided against buying a brace of cheap DMM's and just ordered a new Fluke 87 V. What the heck…
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm extremely pleased with my 88V.

But I'm kind of surprised that a car guy like you didn't go for the automotive unit.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I didn't realize there was an automotive unit!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I bought the kit with the tach clamp-on, magnetic hanger and wire piercing probes. Nice case too.:

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/digi...id=hhiJXdAdK7P

Not cheep, but I got a decent deal on Amazon. Make sure you're buying from an authorized seller so you get your warranty and promo items. I think the promo may have ended, but I got a free voltage sensor from Fluke after submitting the paperwork.
    Last edited by Avenger; 08-20-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Mike, before you hit the trash with the old one, did you do any of this testing?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbOw74XLJrg

DAN

The last DMM that failed was not a Fluke; my Fluke failed years ago so it was tossed back around 2006. It wasn't a fuse/battery problem.

Actually, I canceled the order for the Fluke 87V (Amazon) before it was shipped and I'm re-looking at the various Flukes to see which one is actually best suited for what I need. I'm now thinking this one might better suit my requirements: http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-EDA2-Ind...M/ref=pd_ybh_1

I don't need to spend more for something with capabilities I'll never actually use.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"