Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can the radar see through the flybridge?

I have noticed that many vintage 53 MY Hatts have the radar mounted on the eyebrow over the windshield. Several in our marina have that configuration and the 53MY brochures from back in the day show that as a common setup.

So in that case, is there radar coverage in the quadrant behind the radar - where the flybridge sits - or is the radar coverage restricted to the sides/front of the boat?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Can the radar see through the flybridge?

To answer the your question, you will incur a loss depending on the composition of the material obstructing the RADAR. The additional loss over free space path loss is probably negligible, and not worth worrying about.

Quote Originally Posted by av8torrich View Post
    To answer the your question, you will incur a loss depending on the composition of the material obstructing the RADAR. The additional loss over free space path loss is probably negligible, and not worth worrying about.
    The loss will be your testicles. You do not want to be in the direct path of the radar. You need to blank the area behind where people will be.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The loss will be your testicles. You do not want to be in the direct path of the radar. You need to blank the area behind where people will be.
    Not only testicles, but any liquid filled body part (eye balls are a good example), could be impacted. I know Furuno used to publish the safety distances in their manuals. If this is not the case any longer, follow the recommendation which shows distance the array should be placed in reference to other antennas (i.e. VHF/MF/HF/GPS Antenna), and make sure you are further than the most stringent distance requirement.

Due to the narrow beam width emitted from the array of these RADAR systems, if you are a couple feet above or below, odds are you will be fine.

Before hard tops became popular in the 80's most of the convertibles had this setup also. I have thousands of hours of standing behind Decca 101's and super 101's. As a birth control method it wasn't too effective, I have 3kids. Range losses are more a factor of the installer failing to set the tilt angle of the scanner to the boats running angle. If it's set level when the boat is at rest it will be shooting the sky when the boat is at cruise.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thanks! My radar is on a 12-15 foot Marquipt mast, hinged at the FB deck but I have been thinking about removing the mast for several reasons and TEMPORARILY mourning the radar on the eyebrow while I decide whether to have a FB hardtop or a radar arch installed...or come up with some other method.

I understand the concern re the radar/body parts and figure that if we needed the radar we would be operating from the lower helm anyway.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

The radar does not pick up through the fiberglass. You will see 180* forward.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

The dome is usually fiberglass. The microwaves will go through fiberglass. You must blank the aft area or you can get burns and or worse.

Anyone who "knows better" is encouraged to personally try it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Go broadband (simrad) and mount the 12 " dome where ever you want and yes you will have a blind spot where the radar can't see. These put out no more radiation than a cell phone and the close in image is incredible .......Pat

Agreed. I think he already has a radar and wants to put in temporarily up front on the bridge until he decides what to do permanently. Like arch versus radar mast, or shorter mast, or whatever. I think if he were doing it from scratch, he'd use broadband as you said.

Just curious, does BB radar come in open array, or just domes? Idle curiosity.