Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Question about Hatteras vs Bertram

That about says it, really.....I'll add this: deep-V boats run a little faster (less wetted area maybe? not sure). Also the added luxury and quality in a Hatteras adds weight- thicker laminates, more wood, etc. Weight is the enemy of speed in a planing-hulled boat. Hatteras interiors, with rare exception, have always been nicer than Bertrams. That is less an issue of quality than a matter of esthetics and priorities, but damn, Bertram has built some ugly-looking interiors. Ouch. And they aren't roomy boats as mentioned above.
    An interesting sidelight: one of the things that has all but disappeared from the boating press is direct comparison tests of boats in the size range in which we are interested. The last direct Bertram-Hatteras comparison I can recall was in PBR and that was many years ago. Several things are, I think, responsible for this:
    -the boats cost so much that there aren't a lot of them around for journals to look at. They are worth too much to have around as demos. They get sold instead.
    -the boating journals, with occasional exceptions, depend heavily on ad dollars so they are not willing to write realistically and frankly about new boats. They all look great in the test articles. Sure, they'll find some small thing to carp about (" the location of the paper towel rack in the galley could be improved") but overall it's a love fest. Well, you know, we all look good when we're fresh out of the mold and all polished up. Hell, we probably did too.
    -the journals that do perform comparison tests are very few, and they do them on smaller boats only. PBR is an example.

What we really DO need in recreational boating is a source of accurate comparison info about used boats. Chesapeake Bay Magazine does this with short articles on classic boats, both power and sail. But their circulation is limited and their influence regional. I can't recall seeing anything like this in Soundings, but my memory may be flawed here. Review articles about various hull designs wouldn't be bad either. For example some of the questions above about different kinds of planing hulls have been addressed over the years in review articles of that kind.

I will comment only in terms of actual exposure.

I was on a Bertram for the first time last summer at Mack City, MI, which was a 46' MY. The owner was both a perfectionist and had a good for esthetics and general layout. The had performed a major redo of the interior. At at rate, it showed extremely well and had DD 8V92's, so had to be fast...I think he said cruise 20-21Kt, top 25-26Kt. That was a nice boat, indeed.

But several years before that, I was able to view a Hatt and Bert side by side and look in the engine room. The first thing that caught my eye in the Bert were the wooden stringers, and I remarked to the first mate, "...just like our 40' foot Chris Craft...", which was full wood construction. (Now have 43' Hatt MY).

Having now had the Hatt's fully fiberglas stringers over foam (which these posts have indicated the foam was only to act as molds, while the the fiberglas stringers were installed), I would much prefer the Hatt, base on construction.

Also, in strictly outward appearance, I believe the Trumpy inspired 53' Hatt MY series is the most beautiful yacht in that general size range of any such craft for any period of time. None of the new CAD designed boats are nearly as attractive, IMHO.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I wonder how the Bert fans would respond to the above questions/responses. It would be interesting to hear their opinions as well.

I suspect all will be jaded. For instance back in the 80's I had a collage friend with a 1970 to 72 Bert 38. boat was nice but as you all said very industrial inside. we went out on a friends1979 to 82 Hat 42 or 43c that was a fairly basic boat, no fishing equipment, tower etc. Bert owner commented that the Hat was fairly stripped.

In my opinion the Hatteras blew away the Bert. that was in 1985 and I had never been on either brand of boat before.

Fished a 31B ('74 Bahia Mar) for the last four years...31s and 33s are discussed as way different boats.

Downsea ride you can't beat a 31B...head sea will beat the crap out of you...(so just go slow). That's why we went looking for a 45c Hatt.

In a few words, I'd say the 31B is functional and bullet-proof. Simple, solid glass hulls, great engine access, a fishing/diving machine. Most folks have replaced the old wood cockpits with custom fiberglass.

I loved the boat...couldn't say a bad word about it