I agree...before I made the decision to buy my Hatteras, I had looked at 35 Bertrams. The interiors are, to say the least, functional- mostly Formica etc and look like a 70s Holiday Inn. Another sore point for me: the aft deck hatches have no drain system, as far as I could tell, and they house the genset under the aft deck. On every boat I saw, the gensets were piles of rust. My experience of the 20' Baron that I had showed that the factory had absolutely NO interest whatever in any of their old stuff. Couldn't care less. No parts, no records, no nothing. Been there, done that, AMFYOYO.
Two boat shows ago here in Naptown, I looked at a 45 Cabo SF next to a 46 Bertram SF. The difference was amazing. The Bertram cost quite a bit more- not small change but tens of kilobucks- yet the quality of wiring, assembly, trim, and the design of things where it really counted- in the engine room etc- were sloppy, rusty, poorly cut pieces everywhere etc. By contrast the engine and machinery spaces on the Cabo were as good as anything at the show. Real works of art. A pleasure to behold.
I know that a lot of older Bertrams have enviable fishing records and have served with distinction in charter fleets and private hands. Some of their designs are ageless. I think the quality of their boats varies a great deal, much more so than Hatteras does, and the company has been through more than its' share of ups and downs. I don't think they hold their value as consistently as Hatteras yachts do, and the risk exposure is higher. I would not consider a used Bertram for any future projects; would rather tackle another Hatteras. IF I were to do another project, which is quite doubtful indeed.