Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question about Hatteras vs Bertram

I viewed a thread on another site about people discussing which ride is better offshore. Having a Hat I obviously think mine is the best...but many others came up with other options including Bertram. How does a Bert compare to a Hat? I've never been on a Bert and probably will never own one, because I own a Hat! But I've never been on a Bert and was just curious how it compares to a Hat? My boat is only a 32ft FB but lets keep it to like size boats so we have a frame of reference...(ie those of you who have been on a 32 through 53+ to something Hat only compare to Bert of identical size, meaning 32 ft Hat to a 32ft Bert ect...

Thanks,

This is an education for me...I don't need to be converted to Hat!

Jack

Re: Question about Hatteras vs Bertram

The general rule is that deep-V boats such as Bertrams ride better in heavier weather, but roll more at low speeds. Boats which are flatter in the aft sections such as most Hatts roll less but don't tolerate heavy seas as well. That's the party line as I understand it.
    Now, I am not sure that holds up as a clear distinction between ALL Hatteras hulls and Bertam hulls. They are both felt to be excellent offshore boats and clearly both have caught their share of fish and done much offshore duty.
    I have also heard that Bertrams are faster than Hatterases as a general rule. Or, given the same engines, will go faster but use more fuel...I have never sorted this out to my satisfaction. I would be interested to see what folks here will think..the only Bertram I have ever owned was a 20' one which is not comparable to my present boat.

I don't know if it was on this site or somewhere else that I saw summarized what professional captains say in regards to your Hatt vs Bertram question.....
    "Deliver a Bertram, Fish a Hatteras"

4. Re: Question about Hatteras vs Bertram

In truly CRAP conditions offshore I prefer the Bert's ride.

Try to shut down or troll to fish though, and there's no comparison - the Hatt is BY FAR the more comfortable vessel at low speed or on the drift/anchor.

Second, I don't care for the older Bert's interiors at all. Too much Formica and "plastic" feel. (Feretti has fixed that - but of course they've also "fixed" the price. I crawled around one of their new 45s recently - gorgeous boat, priced like a Cabo. If you want to spend upwards of a mil on it, have at it.)

Their rubrails (if OEM) are a real pain too - aluminum, which looks like hell fast and is hell to replace. Hatteras uses Stainless, which holds up MUCH better.

Finally, I find the systems engineering on the Berts not as good as the Hatts. Its not BAD, but if you give the me the choice between the two, I choose the Hatteras.

And did!

I agree...before I made the decision to buy my Hatteras, I had looked at 35 Bertrams. The interiors are, to say the least, functional- mostly Formica etc and look like a 70s Holiday Inn. Another sore point for me: the aft deck hatches have no drain system, as far as I could tell, and they house the genset under the aft deck. On every boat I saw, the gensets were piles of rust. My experience of the 20' Baron that I had showed that the factory had absolutely NO interest whatever in any of their old stuff. Couldn't care less. No parts, no records, no nothing. Been there, done that, AMFYOYO.
    Two boat shows ago here in Naptown, I looked at a 45 Cabo SF next to a 46 Bertram SF. The difference was amazing. The Bertram cost quite a bit more- not small change but tens of kilobucks- yet the quality of wiring, assembly, trim, and the design of things where it really counted- in the engine room etc- were sloppy, rusty, poorly cut pieces everywhere etc. By contrast the engine and machinery spaces on the Cabo were as good as anything at the show. Real works of art. A pleasure to behold.
    I know that a lot of older Bertrams have enviable fishing records and have served with distinction in charter fleets and private hands. Some of their designs are ageless. I think the quality of their boats varies a great deal, much more so than Hatteras does, and the company has been through more than its' share of ups and downs. I don't think they hold their value as consistently as Hatteras yachts do, and the risk exposure is higher. I would not consider a used Bertram for any future projects; would rather tackle another Hatteras. IF I were to do another project, which is quite doubtful indeed.

6. Re: Question about Hatteras vs Bertram

Yeah, when I crawled through the Ferreti/Bertram at the last show what I saw looked good, but there were some real puzzlers - like the step DOWN from the head compartment to the master stateroom.

Doesn't anyone understand that a head with a shower in it is going to get WET, if not from direct exposure from dripping water? You want that in your cabin? No? Then why would you have a step DOWN from the head compartment to the cabin space?

The other thing that immediately caught my eye were the RV-style 12V switches for lighting and such. Those things are cheap-cheap-cheap and expensive to replace! Hatt used decora wall switches - standard household fare - in my boat, in boxes. They feel good, they work good, and if they crap out they're $2.00 each to replace.

The wiring on the Bert was ok but nothing to write home about. By contrast on the Cabo I look at my initial impression in the machinery spaces and under the console was "WOW!"

Of course the true test is 20 years later. And here, I like my Hatteras. Does she look 20 years old? No. About half that, maybe less. Yeah, she could use a paint job, and I'm redoing the brightwork again - its just one of those "gotta do it once in a while" deals. But in general when I step aboard her she feels like a 5-year old boat, not a 20 year old one.

And everything - I do mean EVERYTHING - works. Precious little has had to be replaced over those years in terms of wiring and basic systems. Things wear out, but I have more and more appreciation for the construction on my Hatt as I work on her. To find a 20-year-old wiring system with labels and BLUEPRINTS in the owner's package, with every wire neatly routed and tied.....

I've been on a lot of boats trying to work on something and have had to spend incredible amounts of time just trying to figure out what goes where in the original wiring. When I installed my Floscans I used the existing bridge tach wire runs - they were right where the prints said they were, in the existing main panel enclosures at the aft end of the engine room. Tying into those was a 5 minute job. Ditto for the ignition wiring. 5 minutes, literally, verifying that it really was on the terminal that the prints said it was.

It was.

The bridge is now sporting three new terminal blocks for the floscans. Just like Hatteras did it originally, with all wires on ring connectors, properly crimped. Bet they work 20 years from now too.

Try THAT with most of the other boat makes out on the market...... With most you'll have to string new wires, because there's no ACCURATE way to do the retrofit without making a hellish mess out of it and there's no good place to mount the new blocks either until you slather some epoxy on a piece of wood and glue it somewhere so you can mount your new stuff.
    Last edited by Genesis; 12-03-2005 at 12:56 PM.