Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras for refit

I've found a 41' Hatt SF that was damaged from one of the recent hurricanes. I'd like to buy it as a project boat and restore it to it's previous condition. I have with my father all the resources and materials available to make this happen. The intention after repair is to place it on the market and fish it while waiting for a buyer.

Does anyone have any experience with refit boats? What issues should I take caution? Are values of restored yachts close to those that have not been damaged?

r/

Ray Smith

2. Re: Hatteras for refit

How "damaged"? Was it holed? If structural damage was done you must disclose it or risk getting sued down the road. Insurability may be impaired and that is usually the big deal for a potential buyer.....

Re: Hatteras for refit

depends on what the damage was and how repairs were made. typicaly you cant make a profit on a restored boat, at best you may break even. it is more a labor of love, doubt you will make wages if you add up your hours. On the other hand you never know. if you pay next to nothing for a salvage boat and are able to purchase supplies and components at cost then who knows

This boat hit the roof of its covered slip during the storm surge. This caused the half tower to be crushed, top and antennas in the process. The mounting points for the hard top have damage and status of electronics mounted at the helm are unknown. The starboard deck to hull joint has about 3' of damage midship.

We will probably end up paying close to 100k for this one. It has Covington 671 Turbos inside. Oh and it's an 88' model. With the help of my father and the guys who work for him and all the parts we have in the shop....I think it could work out...I saw a similar boat for 339K online the other day. I priced shipping costs. That came to about 5k. From reading other posts on here though it looks like it would be better to run it home to NC from AL.

sounds like minor structural damage. hull to deck area is concern. if cut our properly and the joint beveled properly and use of proper glass and west system epoxy for repairs then it should be fine. would not replace the tower. cost of new one will not be reflected in resale value. keep photo history to show to buyers.

i saw the 2 boats you are referencing on yachtworld. be aware that the comp you are speaking of has huge cats in her which would explain the high asking price. in my opinion the one you are looking at may be a bit underpowered with 671's, that can hurt resale. look at the other 41's 87 88 and 89's and note what they have for power.

dont get too stary eyed.

another note is the electronics on this boat may not be damaged but they are all sure dated, not much value. hull damage is not bad but to make her look right you are going to have to repaint the whole boat. I mistook the half tower for a full one. half tower is a nice add and you will most likely want to install a new one.

100k is not paying next to nothing, again if you break even you will be doing very well, break even is good on a boat unless you are Slane. Dont want to burst your bubble but these are cold facts

I restored my 1986 41 with great results. Everyone asks if it is a new boat. I believe it was worth the effort.

How much HP do the 671's produce? If they are tired you may not get a reasonable cruise speed. I would say a minimum of 500hp would be important.

Good luck and have fun garyd

Garyd, your boat does indeed look like a new boat. I saw it and met you in Port Saint Lucie one day. When I looked at it, I was confused and couldnt help but walk up and say hello. What I really liked was the fact that you powder coated your half tower. Hand rails too, right? SHARP! Hows it holding up?

Captned
    Miami Beach
    78 46' Conv.

Double your estimate for everything. Also your time is worth something. At least to you. I would be careful. GET A GOOD SURVEY.

What makes you think the DD 671 turbos are underated for this boat?