Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just doing my research...for now.

I've been lurking on here for a few days and thought I'd introduce myself. The Mrs and I recently decided that we want to get a yacht or trawler in six years. Why six years, you query?

1) Our home will be paid off free and clear by then.
    2) I just recently purchased a new Kubota Tractor. It too will be paid off by then.

We have had experience in owning and operating smaller boats, and for a short period I was a Merchant Marine engineer on the Great Lakes. We are both gearheads and figure that we can probably do about 75% of the maintenance and repairs ourselves. We have decided that we want to keep her berthed in Washington, NC as it is less than 2 hours from our home in Raleigh. Current plans are to eventually to the Great Loop when we retire.

I am very "old school" and have fallen in love with the lines of the late-'60s vintage 41' DCMYs. However, that wouldn't necessarily be my only choice either. There are other vessels of that vintage that I like as well (Almost bought a 1969 35' Inland Seas Steel Clipper back up in Michigan several years ago.). Only prerequisites are that she's gotta be big, she's gotta be old, and she can NOT have sparkplugs (I am allergic).

I figure six years of homework and brain-picking will help us to "get it right" when the time finally does come to pull the trigger. Willing to listen to any and all ideas, suggestions and advice.

Thanks for letting me ramble!
    Don

PS-Please spare me your "Bust Out Another Thousand"/"Hole in the water that you throw money into" wisecracks. I've already heard them all eleventeen-gazillion times.

Re: Just doing my research...for now.

I would first suggest studying the different types of hull designs and how they effect the boats use.a book such has bebe's voyaging under power would explain much . the hard chine flat stern wide transom small high speed props and wide beam that give a boat lift and speed are completely opposite to the needs of a slow speed fuel efficient gentle motion/easy tracking [at slow speed] boat. Compare the hatteras you mention with a gulfstar trawler of the same era to see the difference.know your needs and then find the type that fits. you can hike in dress shoes but you won't be happy has the guy with the right boots

PS-Please spare me your "Bust Out Another Thousand"/"Hole in the water that you throw money into" wisecracks. I've already heard them all eleventeen-gazillion times.

Ok here's 11teen gazillion and 1.
    With fuel prices continuing to rise over the next few years people who own these older boats will see their values continue to fall. With values falling there will be more and more derelict boats out there. Over my life time I've never seen derelict Hatts before. As the saying goes a falling tide lowers all ships so their might be some well maintained gems out there in 6 years but as we have seen in the last few years amount of derelicts will skyrocket.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by boatwright View Post
    I would first suggest studying the different types of hull designs and how they effect the boats use.a book such has bebe's voyaging under power would explain much . the hard chine flat stern wide transom small high speed props and wide beam that give a boat lift and speed are completely opposite to the needs of a slow speed fuel efficient gentle motion/easy tracking [at slow speed] boat. Compare the hatteras you mention with a gulfstar trawler of the same era to see the difference.know your needs and then find the type that fits. you can hike in dress shoes but you won't be happy has the guy with the right boots
    Wasn't familiar with Gulfstar, but I found a couple that I liked on Craigslist and think they would work nicely also. I like the Alvins and Mainships too, wouldn't mind hearing the pros and cons of those.

Going to procure a copy of "Voyaging Under Power" ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    With fuel prices continuing to rise over the next few years people who own these older boats will see their values continue to fall. With values falling there will be more and more derelict boats out there. Over my life time I've never seen derelict Hatts before. As the saying goes a falling tide lowers all ships so their might be some well maintained gems out there in 6 years but as we have seen in the last few years amount of derelicts will skyrocket.
    There's a Hatteras hulk on Craigslist up in NJ that is being sold for the asking price of a case of beer.

Are you implying that you have never seen this at all, or that it is a recent phenomenon? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by michigandon View Post
    Wasn't familiar with Gulfstar, but I found a couple that I liked on Craigslist and think they would work nicely also. I like the Alvins and Mainships too, wouldn't mind hearing the pros and cons of those.

Going to procure a copy of "Voyaging Under Power" ASAP.
    I assume you are referring to the Taiwan built Albin boats. These came from the Hershine yard, and I owned one with the Hershine label. Mine had a single 135HP Lehman and was a 41' sundeck model. A very nice boat that I would own today but for my late wife 'needing' a dinette and third bedroom. Like any Taiwan boat, prior maintenance is key! Fuel burn was 2.7 gph (including generator use) at 7.5 knots. I place Hershine built boats of the mid 80's-mid 90's as mid range in quality.

I also had a 1979 34' Mainship with single Perkins. It is small but doable as a liveaboard for some. Water supply was very limited. It was a price boat that had some truck parts to keep manufacturing costs down. But, I assume you are thinking one of the newer larger boats. There is a Mainship owners forum that might be of help.

Gulfstar made a decent boat IMHO. Two friends had the 44' motor cruisers and got lots of use. The sundeck is huge and a real asset. There are larger and smaller versions. The older 43' trawler was a based on a very efficient sailboat hull.

Look also at the 50' Fantail. Only a handful were built and they are a US boat too.

The Bayliner 45 pilot house is also very liveable and has a reputation as the best of the Bayliner models ever. Caution, they have cored hulls. But also get great fuel economy.

My current boat is a 1981 series I 48' Hatteras MY. It handles well at slow speed, even when running on one engine, but can plane if the boat has enough HP. Hatteras called it a 'dual mode hull'. Soft entry, with hard chines. I operate as a trawler at 1.27smpg at 8.2 knots. The sundeck is also very large and a huge asset. Overall a very livable boat. I personally like having just a few steps between living areas as opposed to everything (except for staterooms and heads) on one level. Circular staircases and bridge ladders get harder as you age.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by michigandon View Post
    There's a Hatteras hulk on Craigslist up in NJ that is being sold for the asking price of a case of beer.

Are you implying that you have never seen this at all, or that it is a recent phenomenon? Just curious.
    I've seen boat prices drop and recover in the mid 70's again in the early 90's with the S&L debacle and during those times like in the housing mkt people including me were able to buy and flip boats and make some money on them but in the last 10 years boat prices are in free fall and except for a little stabilization this year probably due more to the Fed propping up the economy. In six years they may give you a case of beer to take it!
    When you buy anything in a bad market it's like catching a falling knife you know your going to get bloody the question is how much of a blood bath can you take!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Gotta say that, based on pics and descriptions I've looked at in online ads, I really like the Gulfstar MKII 43. Also on my Short List is the 44' Thompson and the big ol' single engine Schucker 50.

I need to get up to the Trawlerfest in Baltimore. Won't be able to do it this year, might shoot for next?

It would be a BIG help to everyone one here that's willing and able to help if you could be a bit more specific in what you like, and how it will be used. You mentioned a few things but even they are vague.

Your Criteria: Big, Old, and Diesel.

My questions:

1. What is BIG? That's a relative term, to some 35ft is BIG and others an 80ft is Medium.
    2. How many Staterooms
    3. Do you prefer walkaround decks
    4. Do you want, need or prefer a nice Shaded Aft Deck and or Cockpit?
    5. Does Galley up or Down matter?
    6. Are there Height or Draft restriction where you'll keep her. You mentioned Maybe the Loop, is this wishfull thinking or how you plan to use it. It's a Major Factor on clearences and range requirements.
    7. How old and in shape, "good health" are you and your spouse or travelling Partner. Will there be small children along. Maybe a split level design with No ladders would be beneficial, or are you fine with ladders.
    8. Is strictly a Trawler OK? Or would you want a MY that can be used as a Trawler and then Brought up on plane if needed to beat a storm, sunset, or to cover longer passages some days.

Lots of things to consider, and there is alot knowledge from many people on this site. With a little more information about what your looking for and any requirements you know are must have's I'm sure everyone can be a big help for you in making the right decision on your future purchase.

Tony

I need to throw in a plug for 1988-1991 Californian motor yachts. I had a 1989 45' double cabin with a pair of 6-71's and loved it. Big, roomy and would get up and haul ass if need be, but at 10 mph was pretty fuel efficient.