Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras for refit

671's can be goosed to get some hp however that is with a price, they wont last very long. Typicaly they are going to produce 400hp. dont think that is engough power for a boat that size, she will be a little slow compared to others.

I refit my 1966 41-c this year with 450-c Cummins, gears, shafts, cutless, props, half tower plus new elect. and spent over 100k, All she needs is a paint job, thats another 20k. If interested I would sell her 125k.

Ron

Sorry to say never been in port saint lucy with Elizabeth Nicole. I removed the bow rails and her completely painted. Filled in port holes etc.

If she has a solid 400 hp that is still going to put her on the slow to very slow side. Probably even sluggish. As I said I would say the least amount of HP would be 500hp.

The early model 41's are about 10,000lbs lighter than the late models. So power doesn't compare between the two of them.

Have fun boating garyd

Ray,
    Thought I would chime in on restoring old Hatts. I've been there, done that. Completely restored an old 53C. See photo on this site. Had a running, undamaged boat to start and restored/ modified it to very modern standards. Everyone thinks it's a new boat. Every system was reworked and new woodwork throughout. Maybe to steal the words of Tom Slane, my boat is more accurately reconstructed than restored. Did 95% of the work myself in my backyard so no high yard fees. Here are my feeling on a project like this at the end of the journey. By the why, my thoughts at the beginning would have been very different. Also I paid less for my boat than you are talking about for a 41.

1. You can not make money on a project like this even if your time is worth nothing to you. If you break even you can consider yourself to have been successful.
    2. If you just want a big boat and don't think you can afford one that is in good shape you are wrong. It will cost you more to fix it up than buying a newer boat in good shape to begin with. Spend the money making loan payments on a newer boat and the time boating instead of the time restoring and the money buying materials. Life is to short.
    3. The only logical reason I can think of do this this is if you want a boat custimized to your liking. If you build it you can build it as you wish and we all know how good the hulls are on old Hatts. If will cost you 70% of a brand new boat to do right, you won't get your money back, but you'll have a boat built just like you want. Not good economic sense but boats never are.

Hope this gives you something to think about. I started out thinking I could get an old boat, fix it up and have a like new boat on the cheap. Maybe even make money if I sold it. I was wrong, wrong, wrong!! I love my boat and hopefully will never part with it. She is cuztomized to my taste like no other boat could be but while I don't really mind the wasted money, it just took to much time. Time I should have been boating .

Barry

Harnett

Excellent Description.
    The only thing that I would add is that, if you are the kind of person that enjoys working on your boat as much as the "Boating" then knock yourself out and go for it. When you're done, you have got something no one else has. It's done the way You want it.

And best of all, you can look at her and say "I did That!"

OldHatt45

Harnett,

Amen....restored a 31 bertram from the hull up, doing the grunt work myself...took three times as long as I thought and wound up putting more than double $ into it than I could have gotten a solid 31 right out of the gate.

Learned alot, but I would never, never do it again.

What I would do if I hit the lottery (and wanted a bigger boat):

-buy bigger engines for Blue Note (see "Chine Walking" thread )

-buy a late model 45C and stuff in bigger engines

-sell 45C to another Hatteras hot-rodder (I know a few) at a loss.

-go back to current boat with glass of rum and say "OK, now I've done that. Next?"

Seriously, any time you spend working you will not spend boating. Even folks who do this for a living can lose their shirt on spec boats. You'd probably be better off to just buy what you want and let someone not as smart do the fix-up routine. After he's done, he'll know what you already know, and he
    ll have paid dearly for what he's learned.

I had a broker once demonstrate to me, when I was shopping for a Striker, that I could not afford the boat we had just seen as a GIFT. It was pretty simple: the cost of restoring the boat was more than it could be worth. And that was just to turn it back into a running, slow 6-71N Striker 44. To upgrade it would have been prohibitive.
    I'm not making fun or trying to talk you out of anything, but generally you'll find that any boat you buy provides ample opportunity for wrench-turning and DIYing. You don't even have to buy a boat to restore. Buy a good one! It will still need work.

"Buy a good one! It will still need work"

Amen to that! We bought our 53MY - Brigadoon - as a "turnkey." It had won awards at Hatt shows such as "Best Engine Room," "Cleanest example." We paid nearly double what we were originally planning to spend when we started out looking at boats that needed work.

During the looking, I figured out that if I bought one of those boats I would be able to measure the time needed to get it like I wanted it in decades, not years. The least amount of money I could determine would be necessary was 100K with me doing all the work. So we realized that for our purposes we were being stupid. So we bought a boat that needed no work. I've been working on it ever since.

This is not because it was misrepresented. It wasn't. But I want it like I want it. Had we bought one of the boats that needed work, it would have essentially gone nowhere for years. Brigadoon has been on several week-long trips, many weekenders, and tons of day trips in just the first season we owned her. But the list of things to do this winter - not routine maintenance - include new autopilot, watermaker, electronic tank level monitors, two lectra sans, new stereo speakers, and maybe the stabilizers.

Jim is absolutely right - buy a boat as close as possible to what you want. You will have plenty of work to do - it will never be done because there is no such thing.

I didn't mention that my father owns Gulfstream Yacht Service in New Bern, NC. He does most of his work at the hatteras plant doing after market installs such as bow thrusters, stabs, and watermakers. It's coming towards the end of the year and it's time for the company to make a move for tax purposes. We've been discussing getting this Hatt for a project..all the people who work for my dad (6) would be helping at some point or another. Also, all parts and materials we already have, or can get at cost. So, I guess what I need to do is figure out how much the oat will be worth when we finish vs. how much we will have invested in it. Another thing, someone mentioned a surveyor. Is that something we should definately do?

There are two things I would bring up to you. The first is that I am currently restoring a 41'tc. I love working on the boat and am enjoying every minute of it. I will have exactly what I want when it is done (you will notice I didn't say finished because a boat never is) but I have no illusions that it will be cheap.
    The second is that I am a little confused that your Dad has a successful marine repair business but you aren't soliciting his advice when it seems he and his employees will be directly involved in the project. I guess my question is what does your Dad think of the rebuild idea as a profitable project as he should be in a much better position to estimate the total cost as well as an honest value of the boat when it is finished.
    Fred