Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Washing machine discharge

Does anybody know what the legal situation is for onboard washing machine discharge? I might be complicating the law a bit here, but there is a new shed on the docks with a sink and toilet for boaters use and I want to put a washer and dryer in it. Would be great if someone knew or could point me in the right direction. Thank you Russell

Re: Washing machine discharge

I see nobody has chimed in yet. So let me get this layed out, You want to install a washing machine in a shed that drains to the water. Correct? Sink water is the same as a fish cleaning station so I dont see any problems. A toilet, well we know the answer to that. A washing machine on my boat discharges overboard as grey water so does our sink. I dont see the difference between on the boat and on the land. I know it would look kinda funny for a pipe with soap suds spraying in the water. Yeah, there's prolly some law or something preventing the discharge of soapy water. As far as the drier, put some dryer sheets in there and smell the whole marina up with good smells.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: Washing machine discharge

You have the scenario correct. The toilet has its own holding tank. I agree that grey water is currently permissible. I guess I'll go with the grey water idea. Thanks.