Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New Hatteras owner 43' double cabin 78

I took ownership last Wednesday. Went on a 3 hours cruise in the Gulf out of Johns Pass. The boat runs 17k with the 903 Cumins. I kept it at that speed for about 5 mins. The rest of my trip I druised at 1350 and was going 8k. I was really impressed with my fuel burn. It was about 30 gals.

Re: New Hatteras owner 43' double cabin 78

Congrats on the new (to you) boat! I see on your profile that you're from Md. Will you be bringing her to the Chesapeake? If so, I'll be curious to know what it ends up costing in fuel and expenses to get her home.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

3. Re: New Hatteras owner 43' double cabin 78

My 43' did 18 kts at seatrial...... (boat had NOTHING IN IT)...
    Now after being full time liveaboards for 14 yrs, Am betting it can't hit 12 kts due to all the STUFF that's onboard......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I moved from Maryland to Florida 3 years ago. Don't think I will bring it up to Maryland this year maybe next year. I will be using it as a liveaboard also. I'm sure one I get my belongings on board it will never see that speed again.

Congrats on the new to you 43' DC. I have one I bought in 1997, a 1972 w/6-71N's, which is not as fast, but she rides well; on the nose she will cruise into 3-5' seas on the GL's. I would not second guess her purchase, as we have had some great times. Little kids think the cabin is a major party area and my 80 yoa father was dearly in love with her, until he passed on at 90. I think you will love her.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Thanks for the responses. I hope to get her in great shape in a few years. She has been not been taken care of like should have. Mostly TLC, I'm going to start in the engine room and work out.

Charlie

Good Luck Charlie ! We love ours

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver66 View Post
    I'm going to start in the engine room and work out.

Charlie
    That's exactly how I started November 2007 when I purchased my 1976 43DC with 903's. Almost done 7 years later All that crap I wrote in your original post when you were surveying was a quick summary of what to look for based on first 2 years. Good place to start would be checking the coolant for correct DCA levels and replace the DCA filters if not dated last time they were changed. If you really want to get serious keep your eyes open for the Cummins 903 Valve and Injector Adjustment tool on ebay, they go for about $150. If someone has ever done adjustments on your engines before, you may be surprised how far out of whack the hardest to get at cylinders are. It will cut down significantly on smoke on cold start, but not eliminate, if valves and injectors need adjusting. There is a torque method of adjusting without this tool, but I personally don't see how you can get to tolerance using this method. Anyway, I'm preaching so I'll stop. You may want to look at mine and gbharrington's past posts as we have same boat/engines. Wish you the best with her and I really hope you enjoy your time aboard your new yacht.